Solo play help!

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Solo play help!

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 17 Jun 2012, 00:16

Pardon my ignorance yet again folks. I have a question or two regarding solo play. Do you use blocking flicks? what do you do about goalkeeping? The reason I'd like to know is that I happen to like solo play and its probably the best way to practice. Thanks in advance folks.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

newgolddream

Re: Solo play help!

Postby newgolddream » 17 Jun 2012, 02:17

Some block some don't. Some operate the goalie with their other hand, some don't.

Do what ever feels right. That's the point - it's solo play!
If you're unsatisfied with an aspect of your own 'in-house' rules alter/adapt them. You already say you are enjoying it and that, is surely, what it is all about.

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 17 Jun 2012, 07:32

I dont use blocks Brendan and most of us dont in Solo. Too time consuming and takes away the spontaneous fun factor. Dont use blocks. Keep that for the proper matches when we all get together in September.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 19 Jun 2012, 10:17

Was thinking of using one blocking flick for every two attacking flicks. My reasoning behind this is when we played in the 80s we never used blocking flicks, we didn't really know about it, so I have no expierence whatsoever using blocking flicks apart from our 2 tourneys and a handfull of friendlies since last christmas. I think I could do with the practice. After all, smart blocking is probably the best way to win the ball back.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 19 Jun 2012, 10:28

Blocking is VITAL, especially if you intend to play " proper " rules and go to Tounaments. Theres two OS Tourneys coming up. One in Lowestoft in August and another one in Burnley in October or November. I am deffo going to the second one.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 19 Jun 2012, 10:32

October or November would suit me better than August. Gonna seriously think about it.

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 19 Jun 2012, 10:41

You should. Was going to ask you and Stevemaccal did you fancy going over, we could get at least 5 from our area, share a car, ferry, bingo.

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 19 Jun 2012, 11:34

You should. Was going to ask you and Stevemaccal did you fancy going over, we could get at least 5 from our area, share a car, ferry, bingo.
Never had you down as a 'housey' fan Paul - takes all sorts I suppose ;)

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 19 Jun 2012, 11:38

Ho Ho ! We would have you over too Will, but a ferry would take a while from your gaff...

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 23 Jun 2012, 07:23

Would dearly love to mate. One day I will get to something be it a fair or a torney. I missed a meet last year when I was in uk by two days. I also missed a Morrissey gig. They bookended by visit, had I been able to shift it one way or other I'd have got at least one in. Sadly it wasn't to be.

peteij

Postby peteij » 23 Jun 2012, 08:49

I have more fun playing without any blocking personally. It slows the game up too much and gets a bit tedious. Plus it's a whole bunch of rules I don't have to remember!

With regards to goalkeepers, I've tried leaving them stationary, but it's too easy to score. I've tried holding the keeper in the other hand, but that takes away the spontaneity of shooting and makes some angles awkward and involves way too much running round the table. I've tried using batteries instead of goalkeepers, but it doesn't feel right. So...

I'm currently thinking about buying some spare keepers, and fixing three together - one standing up in the middle and one either side at 45 degrees. I'm hoping that will cover enough of the goal to need a well placed shot in the corner, or sneak one in between hands.

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 23 Jun 2012, 10:11

Would dearly love to mate. One day I will get to something be it a fair or a torney. I missed a meet last year when I was in uk by two days. I also missed a Morrissey gig. They bookended by visit, had I been able to shift it one way or other I'd have got at least one in. Sadly it wasn't to be.
Thats a truly sad story mate.

Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » 23 Jun 2012, 10:11

I have more fun playing without any blocking personally. It slows the game up too much and gets a bit tedious. Plus it's a whole bunch of rules I don't have to remember!

With regards to goalkeepers, I've tried leaving them stationary, but it's too easy to score. I've tried holding the keeper in the other hand, but that takes away the spontaneity of shooting and makes some angles awkward and involves way too much running round the table. I've tried using batteries instead of goalkeepers, but it doesn't feel right. So...

I'm currently thinking about buying some spare keepers, and fixing three together - one standing up in the middle and one either side at 45 degrees. I'm hoping that will cover enough of the goal to need a well placed shot in the corner, or sneak one in between hands.
Mental Pete. The Ganesh of Subby ? Or is it Medusa ? :lol:

peteij

Postby peteij » 23 Jun 2012, 10:35

Mental Pete. The Ganesh of Subby ? Or is it Medusa ? :lol:
Three wise goalkeepers - see no evil, speak no evil, save no evil.

Stevemaccal

Postby Stevemaccal » 23 Jun 2012, 10:36

How about a smaller set of goals?

Return to “ISF Solo League”