Last of the pre-season friendlies

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
jenksy
Forum Newbie

Last of the pre-season friendlies

Postby jenksy » 01 Sep 2016, 20:47

A trip to the Wessex Stadium for Vanguard Rovers to take on Weymouth. A great start for Rovers, a nice ball from the right falls just inside the shooting area allowing the Rovers number 9 to send a pile driver into the to corner of the net! The Terras were visibly shaken but managed to calm things down and produce a decent equaliser from a corner, a low shot from just inside the box beating the out stretched Rovers keeper. So 1-1 at halftime. The second half started lively enough with both sides pushing forward. Just over halfway through Rovers have a shot from the left of the penalty area well saved by the Weymouth keeper, unfortunately for him the ball rebounds off a defender and rolls over the line!! Despite Weymouth giving it their all no more goals were forthcoming and Rovers ran out with a slightly fortunate 2-1 victory.

Following on from their victory at Weymouth, Rovers final friendly was a trip to Sholing! The confidence was high in the Rovers camp and they started brightly with plenty of possession and some neat passing. Sholing managed to deal with the early threat posed by Rovers and managed a quick break down the right and a nice cross landed perfectly for the advancing forward to hit a low hard drive pass the Rovers keeper and into the net. From the restart Sholing get possession and a couple of neat 1, 2's brings the pacey winger into the box. The Rovers keeper seemed to have the angle covered but somehow the ball sneaks inside the left hand post! So halftime Sholing 2 Rovers 0. The second half began with a Rovers attack and brilliant shot from inside the right hand edge of the shooting area reduces the deficit to 2-1. Both sides press forward and Sholing manage a counter attack which delivers a long ball to the unmarked forward to hit a long range shot into the top of the net, 3-1. A couple of minutes later and a corner from the left result in a 4th for Sholing, 4-1. Rovers didn't give up though and a couple of minutes from time win a corner of their own and reduce the deficit to 4-2, and that's how it finished. So a mixed bag of friendly results but the teams all ready for the start of the new season. Onwards and upwards (or not as the case may be, we wait with bated breath!).
Stay tuned for the next installment!

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Last of the pre-season friendlies

Postby BlackpoolRock » 01 Sep 2016, 21:39

Don't know too much about the non-league scene in your local area, but I believe Weymouth play at a higher level than Sholing. Is Vanguard Rovers' inconsistency concerning the management in any way, or is it being put down as an early blip?

Can't say I look forward to the short hours of daylight and wintry weather ahead, but it's good to have some new football to read about.

jenksy
Forum Newbie

Re: Last of the pre-season friendlies

Postby jenksy » 03 Sep 2016, 08:10

Don't know too much about the non-league scene in your local area, but I believe Weymouth play at a higher level than Sholing. Is Vanguard Rovers' inconsistency concerning the management in any way, or is it being put down as an early blip?

Can't say I look forward to the short hours of daylight and wintry weather ahead, but it's good to have some new football to read about.
Indeed they do play at a higher level. But in the words of old Greavesy "it's a funny old game Saint". Not my favourite time of year I must admit, thank goodness for Christmas in the middle of it and SUBBUTEO to keeps us going. Funny how we spent Tuesday down at Swanage in the sun, a nice walk along the front and a picnic on the hill (Nanny and Grandad caught the sun!). Then on 1st of September the temperature dropped and Autumn arrived!

Return to “ISF Solo League”