Premier League 17/18 solo

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
geow6
Apprentice

Re: Premier League 17/18 solo

Postby geow6 » 08 Sep 2017, 17:02

LIVERPOOL TOO GOOD FOR ARSENAL; UTD HELD BY LEICESTER, LATE WINNER FOR MAN CITY

Gameweek 3 threw up some thrilling matches and finales. The big match of the gameweek came at Anfield where Liverpool's attack was too good for a sorry Gunners side who lost their second successive game on the road in their away strip. Leaders Man Utd remain top despite being held at home to Leicester - Pogba hit the post in stoppage time which would have given the hosts all three points. There was late drama on the south coast as Bournemouth equalised with seconds to go at home to Man City, only for Aguero to net a late, late winner to steal the points for the Citizens. Chelsea edged Everton at home and Spurs also won as five of the title favourites are now locked on 7 points each.

GAMEWEEK 4 BIG CLASH: Man City v Liverpool
Attachments
SPLweek3.jpg
SPLweek3.jpg (141.14 KiB) Viewed 727 times

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 10 Sep 2017, 09:58

CITY HAMMER REDS TO KEEP PACE; UTD STAY TOP, CHELSEA & SPURS MAKE UP EARLY TOP FOUR

Manchester City were in scintillating form as Liverpool had no answer for their attacking prowess as the hosts ran out comfortable 3-0 winners n Gameweek 4's early match. City's rivals United stay top on GD after their hard-fought win at Stoke, Pogba and Rashford with the goals for the visitors. Chelsea had to come from behind in the last game of the Gameweek at Leicester to move on to 10 points with the Manchester clubs, whilst Spurs move up a place to fourth despite a frustrating goalless draw at Everton.

At the bottom, five teams remain winless but Swansea were beaten again and remain rooted to the foot of the table on GD. Bournemouth slip in to the relegation zone after defeat at Arsenal, whilst Brighton scored their first goals of the season through a Murray brace to climb out of the relegation zone after four games.

GAMEWEEK 5: Chelsea v Arsenal
Attachments
SPLweek4.jpg
SPLweek4.jpg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 712 times

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 10 Sep 2017, 12:24

This league is certainly gaining some momentum. We await to see which teams continue to do likewise.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 10 Sep 2017, 13:13

From what I can gather, Gullseye is Brighton and there's ralph too who is Burnley? Both won't be too happy I would imagine with their teams' early standings. Without giving away my allegiance, seeing Man Utd top all the way so far and the possibility of a 21st title isn't what I'd hoped for :wink:

No bias during the matches though, all impartial - honest.

As well as Chelsea v Arsenal in Gameweek 5, there's a massive early relegation clash on the south coast between Bournemouth and Brighton to kick off the Gameweek. Next update likely towards the end of next week.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 18 Sep 2017, 19:53

MANCHESTER CLUBS REMAIN LEADERS; LATE DRAMA AT THE BRIDGE, LIVERPOOL & SPURS RECORD THUMPING WINS

Arsenal were within seconds of a famous win at Stamford Bridge after Ramsey fired The Gunners ahead, but they were pegged back straight from kick off when Hazard found the net via the post to earn a share of the spoils as Chelsea remain one of five teams unbeaten after five games.

Man Utd remain top on goal difference after seeing off Everton 3-2. Mkhitaryan scored twice whilst there were goals for Lukaku and Rooney against their former clubs. Man City kept the pressure on with a 2-0 victory at Watford - the picture has cut off the scorers but Silva and Aguero were on target at Vicarge Road.

Liverpool's front four all found the net as the Reds swept aside struggling Burnley to move 5th, whilst Spurs stay on the coat tails of the leaders after they hammered Swansea 4-0 at Wembley with a brace from Kane. The Swans have conceded 16 goals already after just five games.

Elsewhere on Gameweek 5, Bournemouth won the battle of the south coast thanks to a brace from Afobe - they ran out 3-1 winners at home to Brighton who slip back in to the relegation zone at their rivals' expense.

Gameweek 6: West Ham v Tottenham, Southampton v Man Utd
Attachments
SPLweek5.JPG
SPLweek5.JPG (123.44 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 19 Sep 2017, 17:46

Interesting when you say no bias, obviously there must be some subconscious bias looking at the teams at the top and bottom.
When you look at the table all those top 5 are exactly the teams you would expect to be there. I think this does happen to some degree when you play solo, as you tend to play better with the teams you expect to be superior.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 20 Sep 2017, 06:18

What I meant by no bias was, as a Liverpool fan, there was no bias to them winning all their games and making sure the likes of Man Utd and Everton, for example, lose more often than not.

However, I do agree that I am trying to make the so-called bigger teams play better. Each team has a formation close to the real life formations and they're working quite well so far. Chelsea struggled against Arsenal recently though. The wing backs didn't work and Arsenal should have won.

I expect a few shock results along the way. It's only Stoke so far that have beaten one of the top six sides.

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 20 Sep 2017, 07:07

From what I can gather, Gullseye is Brighton and there's ralph too who is Burnley?
..to be fair I'd rather be 7th having beaten Chelsea drawn with Spurs and taken a point at Anfield ? oh wait a minute .... :multi:

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 20 Sep 2017, 07:20

How do you actually try to make the bigger teams play better. When possession changes to the lesser side are you therefore consciously not playing as well with them, or hampering them in some way.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 20 Sep 2017, 11:10

Shorter passes when attacking and more players going forward for the attacking teams. Depending on who is playing maybe less defensive flicks too but it's not as a rule, just tends to happen that way. I also put the keeper on the edge of the box when the better teams are defending, but lesser teams not so - strikers then have more of the goal to aim at as the angle is not as narrow.

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 20 Sep 2017, 12:07

How do you actually try to make the bigger teams play better. When possession changes to the lesser side are you therefore consciously not playing as well with them, or hampering them in some way.
I think within solo play circles we would call it fiddling the results :lol:

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 20 Sep 2017, 12:09

Shorter passes when attacking and more players going forward for the attacking teams. Depending on who is playing maybe less defensive flicks too but it's not as a rule, just tends to happen that way. I also put the keeper on the edge of the box when the better teams are defending, but lesser teams not so - strikers then have more of the goal to aim at as the angle is not as narrow.
so in other words you are for example making sure that Liverpool scored four against Burnley ? ... because you are a Liverpool fan ? :lol:

when you play as Liverpool do you therefore leave the Liverpool keeper and a couple of Reds defenders in the box .. whilst giving us lesser mortals twice as many defensive flicks because we actually know how to defend ? ... :wink:

Ralph

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 20 Sep 2017, 14:44

There used to be a chap who made a war time football game called Vintage Days. As no substitutes were allowed he introduced the concept of an injured player, which was hampered by having a piece of sandpaper stuck to the bottom of the base. You could consider using this idea on the lower teams strikers and even putting a higher grade on the really crap ones.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 20 Sep 2017, 15:12

There used to be a chap who made a war time football game called Vintage Days. As no substitutes were allowed he introduced the concept of an injured player, which was hampered by having a piece of sandpaper stuck to the bottom of the base. You could consider using this idea on the lower teams strikers and even putting a higher grade on the really crap ones.
Interesting, I'd never thought of that. To be honest I've wanted to make it as realistic as possible. I did expect a few more shocks to have happened by now but with the fixture list, a lot of the top six teams are playing each other in the next few gameweeks. It gives an opportunity to the others - providing they win their games - to close the gap and catch up. For example, Palace have done quite well so far and even drawn at Liverpool. They haven't taken their chances though hence why they've drawn 4. A couple of those should have been wins and they should have beaten Huddersfield too on the opening day, a 2-1 defeat. They stick out as the team playing well but just not converting chances, not for the want of trying.

It's still early days and a lot can change. Time to plough on and see how it takes shape...

jenksy
Forum Newbie

Postby jenksy » 21 Sep 2017, 19:29

Really enjoying the Premier League mate. Better than the real thing! Used to go to all the Southampton home games many years ago. I'm not a great fan of the modern league,to much money in it and I'm not willing to give them mine!! The best thing in recent years (in my opinion) was Leicester winning it! Mind you 3 south coast clubs in it so that's 1 plus. Shame Pompey aren't there as well (but only if we beat them). Anyway, when I play my Midanbury League games (playing with myself Mrs Jenksy calls it), I try and play quite fast. This can lead to mistakes which create openings and hopefully gets rid of any bias! Seems to work quite well for me. I do tend to use different formations and styles of play (defensive, attacking and long ball play) for different teams as well. If I'm playing a "big club" from a higher league, then they get 2 attacking flicks to Vanguard Rovers 1 defensive flick. Still get the odd shock result so I find it works for me. The great thing with solo play is that you can adapt things to suit. Keep the reports coming mate!!!

Return to “ISF Solo League”