British Home Championships Solo

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
chrisone85
Forum Newbie

British Home Championships Solo

Postby chrisone85 » 22 Aug 2017, 16:01

Hi all,

I recently purchased the new Subbuteo British Edition (the one that includes the four home nations) as I get back into the game. The main reason is that space is limited in my house and it comes with a slightly smaller than standard size pitch. I plan to bring back the Home Championships in solo form as a way to practice and will include updates on here. They finished a year before I was born and have always fascinated me.

Looking forward to seeing how the new players fare.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: British Home Championships Solo

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Aug 2017, 20:48

You won't be the only one.

If they can't stage the real tournament, for whatever reason, then following yours will be more than good enough for me. Good luck.

chrisone85
Forum Newbie

Postby chrisone85 » 22 Aug 2017, 21:15

Cheers. If only they could reduce some of the pointless international friendlies that clog up the fixtures to make way for one again on a biannual basis.

chrisone85
Forum Newbie

Postby chrisone85 » 27 Aug 2017, 15:36

Solo British Home Championships 2017

Fixture 1

England 4 - 3 Wales

What a start to the tournament! Chris Coleman's men will curse their luck after losing a seven goal thriller that they dominated for large parts. A late crucial save from Butland in the England goal ensuring the Three Lions get off to a perfect start at Wembley.

Wales dominated the early stages and found themselves one up by complete fluke after Bale's corner was deflected past Butland by John Stones for an own goal after just two minutes. They doubled their lead just three minutes later when Bale slotted neatly into the far corner after being put through by Chris Gunter on a typical foray forward by the Reading man.

Real Madrid striker Bale should have then put the game out of reach when he smashed the ball against the bar when it looked easier to score.

England offered very little going forward initially but managed to pull a goal back at the end of the first half that they barely deserved when a neat through ball by Raheem Sterling was fired home by Harry Kane.

Whatever Gareth Southgate said to his side at half time worked initially as within minutes of the second period starting Kane again showed why he is now England's leading marksman. Another precise finish from just outside the penalty area making things all square.

The home side then laid siege to the Welsh goal with Kane's blast that Wayne Hennessey somehow diverted onto the post the closest they came to taking the lead.

Wales were not out of it yet though and a lovely counter attack was finished off by Sam Vokes to send the travelling fans seemingly into dreamland with only three minutes remaining.

Southgate's boys were running out of time and staring a defeat in the face until Eric Dier met a corner from Sterling and brought the home side level again. At this stage a point apiece would have been a fair result but Kane had other ideas. Collecting a quick throw from Spurs teammate Dier, he then jinxed round the Welsh defence before slotting in and completing his hat trick.

With barely time to respond Coleman issued his side to go long and one last chance fell to Ashley Williams, playing as a makeshift centre forward as his team tried to salvage something with seconds left. The Everton centre back should have done better but with the whole goal at his mercy, went for power rather than accuracy and Butland secured the win with a save he'll know little about. The sheer force of the ball knocking him backwards but crucially bouncing away to safety.

Great match and enjoyed using the new players, was very rusty but the magic of the game is still there.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 27 Aug 2017, 19:53

Always good to get a good start to a tournament.

I don't think the magic of the game ever goes away. It just gets pushed back by other necessities of life that come along.

chrisone85
Forum Newbie

Postby chrisone85 » 05 Sep 2017, 20:35

Sorry for the lack of updates here. Real life has gotten in the way of late. Nevertheless I managed to get another game played this evening.

Fixture 2

Scotland 3 - 2 Northern Ireland

The scoreline completely flatters NI who created very little but did take the two late chances that came their way. Scotland raced into a three goal lead and were comfortable though should have put the game out of sight on more than one occasion.

Hoping I can get another match played tomorrow!

sammyboy249
Apprentice

Postby sammyboy249 » 06 Sep 2017, 13:32

Loving your updates, sadly i'm not old enough to have seen the fixtures unfold, any photos would be ideal .

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 23 Nov 2017, 10:57

Keep it going Chris. And welcome back to Subbuteo. :clap:
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Return to “ISF Solo League”