"Old Subbuteo"

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: "Old Subbuteo"

Postby lloydie1109 » 21 Jan 2017, 19:15

I have a DVD, which I will get you a copy of Rich, its interviews with players from the 1895-1900 years, it is very interesting what they say, about payments and clubs. Off the top of my head it only took 3-4 years for it to be fully 'Open''

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 22 Jan 2017, 11:10

I have a DVD, which I will get you a copy of Rich, its interviews with players from the 1895-1900 years, it is very interesting what they say, about payments and clubs. Off the top of my head it only took 3-4 years for it to be fully 'Open''
Yeah - it didn't work really. Think it was out by 1901 if I remember right.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 22 Jan 2017, 11:13

There's a Mitchell and Kenyon dvd out showing the days when there was a scrum after every tackle. It's surprisingly quick - partly because the players didn't have set positions. The first eight blokes on each side to arrive would just pack down and off they went again. :guiness:
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 22 Jan 2017, 13:02

Best RL film was Just Another Bloody Sunday, got it here superb documentary

bengi
Forum Newbie

Postby bengi » 23 Jan 2017, 06:19

I came across this topic recently and, being an oldsubbuteo member, but also a lazy cdt player (the italian acronim for table soccer: calcio tavolo, a term taken from "table tennis", i.e. "Tennis tavolo"), I would like to put my 5 cents.

Generally speaking this is the situation in Italy:
1) old subbuteo: collectors, vintage, no competitions, get togheter, meals togheter, tournaments seen as the opportunity to meet other players and have fun togheter, fair play, no referes (with some exceptions, namely quarter finals-semifinals-finals though), original vintage materials or only accepted replicas (very strong embargo for larger replica bases, the so-called "dux"). The regulation explains what material is accepted. Astropitch is ok, but at tournamament only a small percentage of pitches can be a pitch, the majority have to be cotton.
2) cdt federation (fisct): manly a cdt with newer rules and newer materials (namely the "pro" bases, big goalkeepers, metal goals, Extreme pitches). However within FISCT they have created a section called "Subbuteo" with rules directly taken from oldsubbuteo but with less limitations (although the limitations are set by the organization: i.e. the pitches used, the bases and so on). Here there are no lunches togheter and the main objective it to participate to a tourmament. There are two different rankings: cdt and Subbuteo.
In both environments you find strict observer and border line players, so you may end up with a serious player at the oldsubbuteo events and a lazy player at a FISCT competition.
Ben

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 06:51

With all due respect you have made a couple of errors there Bengi

no competitions in OS ? .....Dux bases subject to embargo ?

actually Dux bases are highly sought after

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 07:30

best thing to do is to leave them to it ? live and let live - let them boldly go where no man has gone before ... let them have their joint World Cup ... let them breach the final frontier ... live long and prosper FISTF/WASPA/CDT/HTV/CIA/ATV/FBI fellas :)

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 23 Jan 2017, 08:27

I came across this topic recently and, being an oldsubbuteo member, but also a lazy cdt player (the italian acronim for table soccer: calcio tavolo, a term taken from "table tennis", i.e. "Tennis tavolo"), I would like to put my 5 cents.

Generally speaking this is the situation in Italy:
1) old subbuteo: collectors, vintage, no competitions, get togheter, meals togheter, tournaments seen as the opportunity to meet other players and have fun togheter, fair play, no referes (with some exceptions, namely quarter finals-semifinals-finals though), original vintage materials or only accepted replicas (very strong embargo for larger replica bases, the so-called "dux"). The regulation explains what material is accepted. Astropitch is ok, but at tournamament only a small percentage of pitches can be a pitch, the majority have to be cotton.
2) cdt federation (fisct): manly a cdt with newer rules and newer materials (namely the "pro" bases, big goalkeepers, metal goals, Extreme pitches). However within FISCT they have created a section called "Subbuteo" with rules directly taken from oldsubbuteo but with less limitations (although the limitations are set by the organization: i.e. the pitches used, the bases and so on). Here there are no lunches togheter and the main objective it to participate to a tourmament. There are two different rankings: cdt and Subbuteo.
In both environments you find strict observer and border line players, so you may end up with a serious player at the oldsubbuteo events and a lazy player at a FISCT competition.
Ben
Hi Bengi :-)

The fact that cdt 'federation' have created a section called 'Subbuteo' says it all.

The slidey game has no relevance to Subbuteo imo. I'd consider the closest example being Billiards to Snooker. Two completely different games, but same actions and table used, but different rules and completely different game.

I really can't get my head around why certain people want to mix the two together. I can't imagine Billiard players hanging out on Snooker forums, complaining about the game dying and wanting to mix the two games. Or even bitching about what game is 'better' than the other.
It seems to happen every year.

It really is a futile exercise...

People will make their choices on their experiences. Some will play Subbuteo, some will go off and play table soccer. Some will play both. It is what it is. I've tried Table soccer...hated it. But if people want to play it...let them do so. But why can't they just bugger off and leave us alone.

Let them wallow in their shove ha'penny, branding iron and post box experience. And if you can find a polyester tracksuit big enough...more the better :twisted: ;-)

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 08:29

Bengi, I think maybe there has been a mix up, crossed wires.
Subbuteo are looking at doing an event with their figures/equipment as well.

Also a OS World Cup has been mooted, three totally different things.

Subbuteo are supposed to be planning a big event at St Georges Park in England akin to the old SSG events

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 08:31

Having a guess here, but I think Subbuteo has been mixed up with OS, might be wrong.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 09:55

Aye the last "Subbuteo"events went down well ...FISTF players bragging about how they'd bent the rules to use FISTF equipment and rules while **** all Subbuteo players entered anyway :lol: ...

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 23 Jan 2017, 10:01

Good point Paul...what is 'Subbuteo'.

At present a brand. That is neither Subbuteo pre Hasbro or Table soccer.

Subbuteo as a brand associates itself with FISTF...yet does any FISTF player actually use Subbuteo products?

It's the biggest problem I think in anyone wanting to 'get into' playing Subbuteo. Googling 'playing Subbuteo' just leads to a whole world of confusion.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 10:05

A chap connected to both FISTF and Subbuteo was telling me last week of the plans.
Like you say there is confusion at times, but the current day SSG, are planning events with their equipment.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 10:18

the last events they organised in the UK were supposed to feature genuine subbuteo" equipment only ... but some of those nice lads who play the other game had other ideas :roll:
Last edited by ralphtheclaret on 23 Jan 2017, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 10:21

They lost around £40 thousand and someone lost their job. I am told that the latest events are for kids only

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”