Which Pitch?

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Flicker
Forum Newbie

Which Pitch?

Postby Flicker » 04 Mar 2017, 00:07

Hi Guys,

I've registered on here in order to get advice before I fork out my money. My son was given Subbuteo by Santa - much to his and my delight :D . It was the Subbuteo International Playset to be precise. I had the game as a child and the pitch was darker in colour and thicker than the one included with this set. We find it unplayable tbh as it constantly wrinkles when we flick. I have two questions:

(1) Is the Pegasus Rubber Backed Astroturf (mounted onto PVC Foamex board) the answer? I know it costs a small fortune. If it's outstanding then given that it should provide many years of fun then I'm prepared to bite the bullet.

(2) What can we use to keep the goals in place? From childhood memories, I didn't have to hold the goal with one hand whilst operating the keeper with the other when my opponent took a shot.

I'm sure I'll have other questions at some point but until we get the pitch sorted they will be irrelevant.

Thanks in advance fellas :thumbsup:

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Which Pitch?

Postby BlackpoolRock » 04 Mar 2017, 09:30

Sorry to read about the disappointment from Santa's gift, for you both.

Way back when, I would iron a cotton pitch, then paste it onto an MDF board, but that's obviously not very practical if you're playing on the dining room table.

I know it's expensive, but for my latest return to the game, I opted for the backed astropitch that you mention, and I consider it to have been an excellent purchase. Should you decide in the future on to try a more traditional surface, it will also provide a good base and grip the new cloth very well.

I can't help you regarding pinning down the goals, I'm afraid, because I'm probably one of the few who doesn't bother to do so.

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you soon get your pitch problems sorted and may I wish you, and your son, many happy and exciting hours of play.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 04 Mar 2017, 09:41

Really depends on how flexible you are with your set up and storage space.

If you just want to play on your dining room table, then an astropitch with rubber backing is your solution. Use double sided sticky tape for your goals.

For a better set up...mount a pitch to some hardboard or MDF. Use watered down wall paper paste. Attach goals with pins or screws.

Look on ebay or Subbuteo World for all the different variety's available.

A pitch mounted on MDF with secured goals and 'fencing' around the pitch, makes for a better and more enjoyable playing experience, and you're more likely to keep interested. Place the pitch on saw horses, which you can buy cheaply from the likes of B&Q.

Mine's set up in the garage, and moved onto the patio in the summer months. Good fun for BBQ's and a few beers with mates or family ;-)

Flicker
Forum Newbie

Postby Flicker » 04 Mar 2017, 21:31

Cheers fellas. I'll push the boat out and go for that astroturf pitch I originally saw as it is just for setting up on the dining table. Will try that tape for the goals too. Much obliged chaps.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 04 Mar 2017, 22:07

If you want a cheaper option just buy two old 1970's pitches from eBay and put one on top of the other. Lots of them available for £5+ and provide a perfectly playable surface.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 05 Mar 2017, 16:39

I'm looking at the new astroturf pitch which has the shooting line further away. Anyone got this and can you really roll the pitch out with no creases on it like it's been advertised?

Goals wise, I've found the metal ones the best for none movement. Cost about triple compared to plastic ones but you can guarantee they won't break and hold firm without any needs for nails etc to keep them in place.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 05 Mar 2017, 18:17

You are correct, geow6. The latest generation of astropitches have the shooting lines about an inch further out than the traditional surfaces.

More shots, more exciting games, (that's the theory!). Regarding the rolling out without creases: if you knew how ham-handed I can be you would understand why I didn't choose to take the risk.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 05 Mar 2017, 18:21

I've not got one of the new astro's but do have the original one produced which is a nice surface if looked after. It did however get affected by changes in temperature and could wrinkle, the ball also runs much faster on an Astro. It was always best to roll these up when not in use. A lot of members on here are traditionalists and will use nothing but the original baize and will probably take a dim view of playing on a pitch with a longer shooting range.

As for the goals, if you are playing on a table there is little chance that you will break a plastic goal, whereas you can break a plastic player on a metal goal.

geow6
Apprentice

Postby geow6 » 05 Mar 2017, 20:51

I've got a Zeugo pitch at the moment I'm not 100% sure what it's called but I've had it for well over 5 years and it's as good now as it was new. I'm very tempted to get one of the newer ones though with more shooting opportunities, however, is it worth the £50 risk?

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 06 Mar 2017, 08:18

I really can't understand the fascination of having the shooting line further away. Surely the defending team will defend to the shooting line wherever it is on the pitch. Just a gimmick in my opinion. Stick with tradition and play the proper way.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 06 Mar 2017, 08:30

Obviously the idea of the longer shooting line is to make the game easier for beginners, so good if you have young kids playing. I doubt whether the experienced player would use the pitch, as it is less of a challenge and not playing the game as it was intended. In the early years the shooting line was changed to different positions until the optimum one was found to produce realistic scores.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 06 Mar 2017, 09:01

Fairly sure ive a few with no shooting line, old ones
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

ogi71
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ogi71 » 06 Mar 2017, 16:58

if anyone wants one I have a new unused ExtremeWorks pitch for sale, same one they use for the FISTF World Cup.

Timbo85
Forum Newbie

Postby Timbo85 » 06 Mar 2017, 21:22

My favourite and the set up I have is one of the nasty 90s nylon pitches pasted on a board with a nice 70s felt one on top. drawing pins keep the goals in place as there are dedicated little holes on the side of most goals for such fixing.

Having played on the new and original backed astros I still prefer the aforementioned. I think the perfect nature of the astros feels a bit too.. astro-ey for me, whereas 70s ones are more like grass : )

DerryCityTFC
Forum Newbie

Postby DerryCityTFC » 30 Mar 2017, 17:50

if anyone wants one I have a new unused ExtremeWorks pitch for sale, same one they use for the FISTF World Cup.
Hi,
I'd be interested in your extreme works pitch. Is it an Astro? can you let me know a price.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”