No blocking flicks

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
spudski
Grand Master

Re: No blocking flicks

Postby spudski » 24 Nov 2017, 08:49

I can't disagree with any of the above comments and ideally it would be best to play to the strict rules from the start. But Subbuteo is a game and its very easy to turn somebody off at an early stage.
I agree mate...In my experience I've seen people wanting to play Subbuteo again, they've seen their old set from the 70/80's or on ebay and it's rekindled a fond memory and a renewed interest.

They start playing with their kids or have mates round to play and have a few beers. This happens a lot from my experience.

It's when they want to play with 'others' that it seems to go wrong and they lose interest.

A simple game of Subbuteo with equipment and rules they are used to, turns into a very different beast. Different rules, different equipment etc,etc,etc.... It's at this point I've seen many people walk away from any lingering interest.

Which is a shame imo.

Many people still play Subbuteo in their homes...but when it comes to anything outside of that, the world of Subbuteo becomes a confusing mess.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Nov 2017, 18:23

I can't disagree with any of the above comments and ideally it would be best to play to the strict rules from the start. But Subbuteo is a game and its very easy to turn somebody off at an early stage.
That's very true Steve .. the problem Bob has is that the player he is talking about would be playing in a league? so unless they are all novices he might well suffer a few heavy defeats if he doesn't block . What do the others do miss on purpose ? that's okay but more insulting than anything else if your opponent spots it .. It is difficult trying to encourage new or returning players but to my mind they might as well learn the basics from day one .

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Nov 2017, 18:25

" Many people still play Subbuteo in their homes...but when it comes to anything outside of that, the world of Subbuteo becomes a confusing mess."

Nail on the head Ian ..spot on.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 24 Nov 2017, 18:38

" Many people still play Subbuteo in their homes...but when it comes to anything outside of that, the world of Subbuteo becomes a confusing mess."

Nail on the head Ian ..spot on.
It's a shame mate...unfortunately, I think things have gone so far now, it would be hard to change.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Nov 2017, 18:49

I think it comes back to something we've discussed before .. replicating football as opposed to just being good at flicking bits of plastic about .. I know that you can get away with non-blocking if you have two players who want to replicate football rather than just play a table top game that involves flicking plastic about .. there is as we know a subtle but important difference.

A football replicator might for example kick off forwards (the old way :wink: ) .. pass backwards ..knock it around in midfield a bit ... sweep a ball out wide and try to put a cross into the box (all the while risking losing possession) .. a good plastic flicker would as you say just use a couple of players to get to the shooting area and let fire as soon as possible ?

It's all about the mindset and knowing who you are playing against and why

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 24 Nov 2017, 19:38

I think it comes back to something we've discussed before .. replicating football as opposed to just being good at flicking bits of plastic about .. I know that you can get away with non-blocking if you have two players who want to replicate football rather than just play a table top game that involves flicking plastic about .. there is as we know a subtle but important difference.

A football replicator might for example kick off forwards (the old way :wink: ) .. pass backwards ..knock it around in midfield a bit ... sweep a ball out wide and try to put a cross into the box (all the while risking losing possession) .. a good plastic flicker would as you say just use a couple of players to get to the shooting area and let fire as soon as possible ?

It's all about the mindset and knowing who you are playing against and why
Exactly that mate...and that's what makes the difference.

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 24 Nov 2017, 19:47

If you're wanting to teach someone the game, how about he can block, but you can't ?

You'll probably still win :clap: but who cares anyway ? :guiness:

You don't see a lot of Premier League players in an open-top bus because they won Friday's five a side comp. :bday:
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”