First Subbuteo Tournament In South Africa

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
Vikash
Grand Master

First Subbuteo Tournament In South Africa

Post by Vikash » 10 Jan 2007, 10:05

Greetings to all!

Saturday the 6th. January saw the first Subbuteo friendly tournament played in Johannesburg. The meet was arranged by the mercurial Clifford Graaff.

There were only three players, but it is a start. The results were as follows:

QPR 2 v Liverpool 1.
Arsenal 1 v QPR 0.

Clifford says they did not play the third game, because they did not want an outright winner or loser. This was, after all, a friendly tournament with no prizes, etc.

I have been told that all future South African tournaments will abide by the authentic/original Subbuteo rules.

More news to follow from South Africa...

Cheers!

Vikash.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 10 Jan 2007, 10:26

Posted on the FISTF Forum:

Thank you for your email, Vincent. I have made contact with Clifford, and it appears 2007 will be the year we get up off our bums and start a table football tournament here in South Africa.

I will send you all the details as and when I receive them, my friend. Clifford is meeting Reza today to discuss the first tournament, which will either be on February 3rd. or 10th. I think they should have about 12 players for the first meet. Not bad eh :wink:

All credit must go to Clifford Graaff for this. The man is so enthusiastic and eager to get tournaments going in South Africa. Top fellow!

I will be sponsoring 10 sets of PTF Advantage bases and discs for the tournament. Unfortunately there is every chance I will not be able to make the first tournament, as I am in Durban, and the three first months of the year will be crazy at work.

I am simply happy to be assigned with the task of reporting on all tournaments, and assisting people here in SA with information on the game/hobby. You know that I am more of a collector than a player, so perhaps I will be useful in some way.

Thanks again for all your support, my buddy! Much appreciated :P

Cheers!

Vikash.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 10 Jan 2007, 10:37

Here is a list of nine of the players who will participate in the first South African Subbuteo tournament in February 2007 (there are others that both Reza Bodiat and Clifford Graaff have talked to... we await their response):

Harold Silber
Kevin Isaacs
Sean Morgan
Reza Bodiat
Richard Shellnack
Sheldon
Shane Graaff
Terry (Lilliputs)
Clifford Graaff

Taff

Post by Taff » 10 Jan 2007, 15:55

Excellent Vikash. Hope it all goes well for you all. From small acorns my friend......

lionofludesch
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by lionofludesch » 10 Jan 2007, 22:32

Well done Vik.

Whilst there are a lot of people interested in Subbuteo, there are surprisingly few who actually want to play in the UK. So ten or a dozen in South Africa isn't a bad effort.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 11 Jan 2007, 08:35

Thanks, Taff and Rich!

I am completely in awe at what Clifford and Reza have accomplished thus far. We are going to do our very best to ensure we have at least three tournaments a year, and a league system going in Gauteng Province (all the players are based there at the moment).

As mentioned, I am very happy to take care of the admin and reporting side of the game/hobby here in South Africa.

Gosh, I've got goose-flesh just talking about this... Can't wait for the first tournament. Clifford's wife says she will send me pictures. I will have them posted here (will need your help with that, Chris).

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Cheers!

Vik.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 12 Jan 2007, 09:27

Details of first tournament in South Africa:

1) Date : 3 February 2007

2) Venue : Parc de Graaff ( 20 Halite Rd, Wilro Park)

3) Name : Johannesburg Open

4) Format : Mini league format with a Championship and Plate Finals & Junior Section

5) Team Names : Any name

6) Photographs will be taken and sent to Monday Night Football

7) Election of Committee : prior or post tournament (same day)

8) Trophies/Prizes : All category winners and medals to all entrants.

Just received the above from Clifford. He had a meeting with Reza Bodiat yesterday where everything was decided.

Got butterflies in my tummy :P

Cheers!

Vik.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 05 Feb 2007, 14:21

From Reza Bodiat:

Greetings,

With the Johannesburg open just a week away....a few of us got together today (3 February) to have a mini tourney in order to get some game practice and ensure everyone understood playing rules etc.

Clifford Graaf will no doubt go into next weeks tourney as firm favourite after having a fantastic day in playing 5 games and winning 5.
He possesses patience, precision and accuracy and is no doubt the firm favourite to win the the SA OPEN next week.

Taariq Bodiat
will be favourite to win the juniors section after impressing in his games.

As for myself...i was very dissapointing and had an off day...losing to Graaf on each occassion. He is really good.....best i've seen this side of the world. Glad we have his pedigree on our side.

More from the Open next week........

Reza
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 13 Feb 2007, 10:53

First Subbuteo Tournament in South Africa (this posted on the SPF by Reza Bodiat):

After qualifiers, the South African Open today saw it's two first official number one ranked players in the adults and junior sections.

The open held at Parc De Graaf saw the top 4 adults and top 4 children compete in their respective groups.

In the juniors sections, brothers Taariq and Yasser Bodiat came up against each other in the finals for the highest ranked South African juniors. Older brother Taariq was victorious in a two nil win.His first goal was a penalty after some sloppy play by Yasser. The second in a tightly fought midfield game came again after a mistake. Losing possession just out his own area,Yasser left a hole in his defence as his older brother kept possession well before unleasing an unstoppable shot which buried itself to the keepers right. Not much of a contest after that and Taariq held on to claim the crown, deservedly so too.

In the adults section, Clifford Graaf ( Rangers)who was previously unbeaten, met arch rival Shaun Morgan(Scottish Vets) in the final. Graaf no doubt the favourite to get number one ranking started superbly with his close control and posession play - accuracy was his advantage and inside the first three minutes lay siege on Morgan's goals and only some heroic goalkeeping kept the score respectable.
Graaf did take the lead, deservedly so too as a well worked goal supported by fantastic possession play going back to his own penalty area saw a magical finish.
Graaf played patiently and took 9 perfect flicks to execute an unstoppable finish which he buried with some accuracy beyond the outstretched arms of the opposition keeper.
The half belonged to Graaf and he could and should have gone into the break with a much bigger lead.
The second half saw Morgan come back strongly. Early signs showed that he had the necessary skill to get back into the game and he did so with some class.Picking up a ball in midfield, Morgan patiently played a number of one two's before playing a sublime ball through the opposition defence to set up a fantastic goal. With the goal in sight, he opted for a pass and when the ball fell awkwardly, one thought he had missed his chance but a terrific spin pass inside the shooting area saw a chance created perfectly as he stroked the ball home leaving Graaf helpless.

The rest of the game was fairly tight and one sensed extra time golden goal was going to settle it.

It took 3 and a half minutes for glory as fantastic patient play saw 3 players released into the shooting area, each with a scoring shot on but further patience and precise flicking made for the perfect goal. The ball again played invitingly and with some power, a dipping shot to the right from Morgan gave Graaf no chance as the ball hit the back of the net and bounced inside the goal to give Shaun Morgan the coveted title and the honour of becoming South Africa's first official number one ranked player.

The open was superbly organised and the momentum is now on to further grow the South African interest.

League results, rankings and tables will be communicated to FISTF.
Future opens will take place on a regional basis and our hope is to stage the 2010 SUBBUTEO WORLD CUP in conjunction with the FIFA WORLD CUP in South Africa.

The game is alive...and flicking ....in the gateway to Africa...

Congratulations once again to our two winners, Shaun Morgan and Taariq Bodiat
South Africa

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”