4-2-4 table soccer pics

Discussion about the TAF 4-2-4 table football game, later known as Grand Slam and Premier League
Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: 4-2-4 table soccer pics

Postby Focus On » 28 Oct 2009, 17:58

do you know what my teams stack the other way to yours-ie flat base down
will have to do a pic after all :?

i have the pitch too its mental-you could adapt some of the markings on it to a 'two goal rule' in Subbuteo i guess
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neil » 29 Oct 2009, 10:23

TAF 4-2-4 was introduced about 1970 and was developed by someone in Guernsey I believe.

The pitch had zones marked on it, in a 4-2-4 formation. The idea was to retain possesion of the ball by passing it into a zone in which you had a player. If the ball came to rest outside a zone, then possesion was lost, if the ball was on the edge of a zone then a tackle could take place, the result of which was determined by rolling a dice.

Players were picked up and moved around the pitch and the ball was played by simply hitting it with the base of the player, using the angled edge to lift the ball when required.

It's a good game, more tactical than Subbuteo and with less of the immediate thrills and spills that Subbuteo offered. Also it never had the marketing backing of some of the more established games.

TAF 4-2-4 was later marketed as Grand Slam and then Premier League.

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 29 Oct 2009, 12:21

TAF 4-2-4 was introduced about 1970 and was developed by someone in Guernsey I believe.

The pitch had zones marked on it, in a 4-2-4 formation. The idea was to retain possesion of the ball by passing it into a zone in which you had a player. If the ball came to rest outside a zone, then possesion was lost, if the ball was on the edge of a zone then a tackle could take place, the result of which was determined by rolling a dice.

Players were picked up and moved around the pitch and the ball was played by simply hitting it with the base of the player, using the angled edge to lift the ball when required.

It's a good game, more tactical than Subbuteo and with less of the immediate thrills and spills that Subbuteo offered. Also it never had the marketing backing of some of the more established games.

Kinda like how I play the game, guys ;-) I putt-to-pass instead of flick-to-kick 8)
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

spudski

Postby spudski » 29 Oct 2009, 13:06

Kinda like how I play the game, guys ;-) I putt-to-pass instead of flick-to-kick 8)
Well you can stop with that bollox straight away Vik...Get flicking...I want a proper game when i come visiting :wink: :razz:

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 29 Oct 2009, 13:24

:lol: That's why for the first time in almost three decades I am learning how to flick, mate ;-) Currently learning to play the game the flick-to-kick way and I am so enjoying it, Spudder :razz:

Still struggling to chip though :cry: , but will eventually get it right ;-)

spudski

Postby spudski » 29 Oct 2009, 13:55

Don't worry about chipping mate. When shooting it comes in handy, but the rest of the time it is fruitless as you are not going to keep the ball on the pitch.
Think as Peter Adolph intended the game to be played. A mixture of Chess & snooker. Think angles, bringing other players into position, practice blocking flicks...it's all good mate. :wink:

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 29 Oct 2009, 14:35

Ian, this morning by some marvellous coincidence I met with the Captain of the shipping company I deal with. He saw the ref. 079 HW figure on my desk and we were talking about Subbuteo for the rest of the meeting 8) He is from East Anglia, and says he was obsessed with the game when he was a kid. His name is Richard Eacott just in case it rings a bell with anyone here... Long shot, I know :roll:

He is interested in having a look at my collection so will see him again when he gets back from Norway, which will be in about two or three months time. He says he's keen for a game, so I told him I'll get the pitch mounted on a board and ready for a game :razz:

Captain wants to play with HW's though so I'm going to have to find a team I can afford to have him flick about with. He was amazed how the game had developed, and says he lost interest when the Zombies were introduced and didn't have time to have a go with the LW's.

And I was just wondering this morning about finding someone to play the game with... How's that for fate?! Someone up there heard my wish 8)

Now I must try wishing for Katrina Kaif to call me and see what happens :razz: :lol:

spudski

Postby spudski » 29 Oct 2009, 14:44

That's great news mate. Get practicing...you don't want to be beat on home soil so to speak :wink:

rossobantam

Postby rossobantam » 30 Oct 2009, 23:46

so that's why the pirates are kidnapping folks off the African coast....Vik has paid 'em to find him a Subbuteo opponent :lol:

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 31 Oct 2009, 07:13

so that's why the pirates are kidnapping folks off the African coast....Vik has paid 'em to find him a Subbuteo opponent :lol:
8-[ :twisted: :lol:

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 14 Nov 2012, 07:30

my set

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 14 Nov 2012, 09:55

Good pic Mark. They are nice sets - I have one...no way near in as good condition as yours (yeah I know condition is eveything :roll: )

I have some other bits and bobs too - I will post mine up, hopefully tomorrow.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 14 Nov 2012, 10:29

tbh condition is only useful if you're selling the thing
if you are ok with it as it is then condition dosen't matter that much
some really rare things you have to take what you can find, if in poor condition so be it.

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 14 Nov 2012, 10:36

TBH mate I'm totally anal - I can't sell, give or throw anything away...it's a curse. Nothing I have has any sell on value as I am incapable of selling it. What kills me most is that my kids will probably just skip the lot. I am a broken individual.

up the boro
Grand Master

Postby up the boro » 14 Nov 2012, 18:35

I bought this game in the 70's, proffered it to SSG TBH, thats probably because i am kak at SSG footy, good at the cricket mind
It all seems very easy, this revolution game
But when you start to really play things won't be quite the same
Your intellectual theories on how it's going to be
Don't seem to take into account the true reality

Return to “TAF 4-2-4 / Grand Slam / Premier League”