Is The Scene Dead?

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
jozza800
Apprentice

Is The Scene Dead?

Post by jozza800 »

As the title suggests! Has the scene died?

I've not had a single enquiry on here and elswhere about my new site. And having a look round the forum there seems to be little action going on.

On Ebay there's lots of stuff going without bids. All sorts - HWs, LWs in nice condition. Even the joblots seem to be taking a bit of a pounding.

I understand taht we're in a middle of a pandemic and money might be a little tight for some but it just seems that there is very little going on nowadays.
Follow me on Twitter @CustomFlicks

Visit my website http://www.customflicks.co.uk

Look out for my work on Ebay.

Wrightenberg
Professional

Re: Is The Scene Dead?

Post by Wrightenberg »

I don't think it's dead, just moved off forums and on to Social Media, where people tend to sell and showcase - rather than discuss.

dawn.42
Professional

Post by dawn.42 »

it's sad indeed !! there is nobody on this forum !!! they have all disappeared, more discussion, nothing !!!!!, even on facebook the members of this forum are no longer there.
On ebay sales continue, but sad not to be able to speak about our passion anymore !!

HPL17
Apprentice

Post by HPL17 »

That’s the case for many years here in my experience. I used to post regular pictures of custom made teams but received hardly any feedback. On the pictures you can see they have more than 100 views but no comments.

krama
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by krama »

It did pick up briefly here I noticed, after it was mooted that the forum might close down if not enough subscribers were forthcoming. As others have said, it does seem quiet again now.

Supergluedlegs
Forum Newbie

Post by Supergluedlegs »

I hope it’s not dead although it does seem most of the action on here was a while ago.

I’ve been sharing a few posts on getting back into Subbuteo.

I’ve realised though that I’m favouring the Zeugo teams as they seem to lend themselves to more powerful shooting including higher shots over keepers.

Maybe not for everyone though I guess.

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski »

dawn.42 wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 17:33
it's sad indeed !! there is nobody on this forum !!! they have all disappeared, more discussion, nothing !!!!!, even on facebook the members of this forum are no longer there.
On ebay sales continue, but sad not to be able to speak about our passion anymore !!
Eric....the majority of members on this forum are pretty much still active. However...it's now all on the various FB Subbuteo pages. It's very much alive...very active, many discussions, and there has been a massive surge in interest in Subbuteo... especially since lockdown. Many new people getting back into the game, both playing and collecting.

This forum is used more now as a reference site for history and info.

cityfan247
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by cityfan247 »

I echo Ian's (Spudski) comment.

FB groups seem to be where the interaction is. And as Ian says several groups and plenty of activity.

I still visit this site and it remains a great reference site. However things went downhill for me when a lot of the archive pictures were no longer viewable to me. I subscribed hoping this would be rectified but sadly the problem remains (certainly for me it does) . I suppose its the chicken and egg. To get more people on here those sort of issues need to be sorted but without the support of members (new and old) to cover costs it doesnt get done.

i hope the website survives.

krama
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by krama »

spudski wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 14:05
dawn.42 wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 17:33
Eric....the majority of members on this forum are pretty much still active. However...it's now all on the various FB Subbuteo pages. It's very much alive...very active, many discussions, and there has been a massive surge in interest in Subbuteo... especially since lockdown. Many new people getting back into the game, both playing and collecting.

This forum is used more now as a reference site for history and info.
That's good to know...! 8)

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy »

A lot of forums - at least ones I've been a member of - have experienced similar problems. Basically, Facebook became the defacto standard for internet forums etc a while back. It sucks people's attention, and so the tim efolk are willing to put in to posting on sites like this dwindles. It makes it quite difficult for folk like me, who aren't on Facebook (or have any intention of being).

Hopefully this site will survive that. I admit I don't post much, coming from the (occasional) playing side rather than collecting side - but I do find it interesting reading. I do worry, though, when forums become "reference sites", that it's basically a death knell for them. It's only a useful reference resource because people have posted so much useful information on it. If you stop posting & discussing, ...

BlackpoolRock
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by BlackpoolRock »

I'm pleased to learn that I am not the only one who hasn't signed up to Facebook and other social media sites, and remain extremely hesitant about doing so.

I do hope this forum survives, and remains active. Apart from keeping up-to-date with current stories and thinking, occasionally I find it fascinating to browse through a few posts on topics from several years ago. It's part of the rich social history of the game.

krama
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by krama »

I also am not on facebook or twitter etc, so fully agree with Algy & Blackpool.

SweSaint
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by SweSaint »

I'm not on Facebook and I have no intention of going there.

Regarding the activity, or lack of it, here, my opinion is that it's up to us who come here to keep the forum alive even if it's only a short comment on a hand painted team, a stadium projekt update or the latest news from a solo league.

mrchrisallen
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by mrchrisallen »

Agree with you. Like the saying goes (normally for local shops, pubs etc) "Use it or lose it". Chris

Wacca
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by Wacca »

Agree with all comments made. I am not a Facebook user and have no intention of using it.

I do enjoy some of the YouTube content produced, especially the excellent Table Football Monthly. I hope the Facebook site is not taking up too much of the presenters time as the gap between episodes does appear to be increasing.

The prevalence of other channels is growing which can only be good for the longevity of the game and regardless of my opinion of some of the quality, it shows the enthusiasm is still there.

This site is still my go to place for information and advice by searching the historic posts and is as valuable to me as Peter Upton’s site.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”