Subbuteo cricket adaptions modifications

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
Flick
Apprentice

Subbuteo cricket adaptions modifications

Post by Flick »

Has anyone adapted or modified their set to add a bit more realism to the game. I watched a video on YouTube where someone had made their own bats and done a ratings system which worked well.

SIDAZALEL
Forum Newbie

Re: Subbuteo cricket adaptions modifications

Post by SIDAZALEL »

Hi,
Seem to remember someone saying that they used a ball bearing for the first few overs to replicate a new ball.

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Post by lionofludesch »

I did rewrite the rules, many years ago, to make them a bit more user-friendly.

For instance, the batsman was out LBW if the ball hit the batting figure and the bowler, batsman and stumps were in line with one another,

It worked well. There's no way an umpire can get a decent sight of the ball to decide whether it would've hit the stumps. And no way you can get the players to agree.

Also seriously cut down on the byes to prevent them being top scorer every innings.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

steveinnorthants
Apprentice

Post by steveinnorthants »

Back on this forum after a long lay off. Have dusted off my subbuteo but haven't played yet. I was an avid cricket fan in my younger days, played solo cricket matches and had lots of rules to make things more realistic. I can't remember them all, but they included:

Set times for each session for test matches, so there were breaks for lunch and tea.
Using a ball bearing for the first few overs to limit scoring. (take the bails off for this otherwise its annoying!)
I also gave the best couple batsmen a life.
I had a slightly larger bat for when the innings progressed. Think that would work well for 20:20! Also you could play around with that to try and replicate lower order batsmen, so a standard one for 7-11 say.
Using plastic angle - they stuff you put over corners of units/walls etc, placed behind a number of "out fielders" to stop shots, so cutting down on boundaries. Also used this for the wicket keeper, but seem to remember that a green angled plastic stop came with the set?
Calling the occasional really fast ball as a no ball if it took a wicket - I would inadvertently bowl too fast now and then.
I could only play solo on the floor, lying down with my right hand batting and bowling with my left. Took some time to perfect but was fine. Odd shot hit my right arm but called that as a dot ball.
When I was younger I would score manually, I could do it at the end of every over, remembering what had happened. I did however find a scoring programme on a laptop which made it easier than adding stuff up.

If isolation hangs about I might try a few 20:20 matches - not sure I have the patience for a full test match like I did when I was a kid!

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy »

The Anchorman Cricket set (last one one here: http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/clones02.htm) contained brass versions of the modifications my dad made for our cricket sets. The big ones were the boundary extensions and the 'catapult' bowler. Not on the (astoundingly good) Peter Upton site, but there was also a small range of cricket teams available separately. They were produced in quite small quantities, but from memory there were the one day kits for 10-12 national sides (plus more generic whites sets with various coloured helmets). There were also a handful of county sides produced in one day kits. I don't remember exactly which, but there was definitely Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, and Lancashire produced & sold.

He still has a few sets left in stock if anyone wants one ;)

Flick
Apprentice

Post by Flick »

Hi algy

I’m after the cricket streaker set and rugby streaker set your dad was selling. He’d did reply but I haven’t heard back from him for a while

Flick
Apprentice

Post by Flick »

Hi Steve,

Any photos of the adapted bats and how you
Made them please

Thanks

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy »

Flick wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 20:58
Hi algy

I’m after the cricket streaker set and rugby streaker set your dad was selling. He’d did reply but I haven’t heard back from him for a while
Heya - I've PM'ed you his mobile number :)

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”