Offsides

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
KirkH
Forum Newbie

Offsides

Post by KirkH »

I'm new to Subbuteo and really enjoy it, but the offside rules leave me scratching my head. If an attacker has to always have two defenders between himself and the opposing teams goal line, why can't the defense simply leave every player forward of their shooting line, thus preventing the other team from ever entering the shooting area? There has to be something I'm missing. Thanks.

Kirk H.

BlackpoolRock
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Re: Offsides

Post by BlackpoolRock »

Welcome to Subbuteo, Kirk. Pleased to read that you are enjoying it, may you continue to do so for a long time to come.

I admit to being something of a relic these days, but the old Advanced Rules (which I play to in my solo games) state that there must be at least one defender inside the shooting area before offside can be claimed.

Even earlier rules state that offside is only given if a player in an offside position is nearest to the ball when it becomes stationery, or if he is played towards the ball. If the ball hits a defender on the way through, that counts as playing him onside.

Hope this is helpful.

krama
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Re: Offsides

Post by krama »

BlackpoolRock wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 20:00

state that there must be at least one defender inside the shooting area before offside can be claimed.
That's how I play the offside also. Welcome to Subbuteo Kirk, and so pleased you are enjoying it!
Mark A.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”