Recommendations for ‘All Rounder’ Bases

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
Paul
Apprentice

Re: Recommendations for ‘All Rounder’ Bases

Post by Paul »

There's some "Image 2" bases illustrated on the January '21 edition of the Table Football Monthly show on YouTube.
I haven't used these myself but they look like they might satisfy both requirements that you're looking for.
Carpet football sucks.
krama
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by krama »

HW''s can do exactly that, slide and curl. Do both really well imo...with the bonus of using proper and original Subbuteo bases as they were meant to be.
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

krama wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 12:12 HW''s can do exactly that, slide and curl. Do both really well imo...with the bonus of using proper and original Subbuteo bases as they were meant to be.
Ditto, on a "baize" pitch. Polished heavyweights will slide and spin as needed.
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Post by Sickage Flickage »

krama wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 12:12 HW''s can do exactly that, slide and curl. Do both really well imo...with the bonus of using proper and original Subbuteo bases as they were meant to be.

Totally agree with this.

If it weren't for the 'swerve', I don't think I'd bother playing.

Best aspect of the game for me. What my son christened 'sickage flickage' all those years ago.

The joy of seeing a player curling around a blocking defender and connecting with the ball, and knowing you meant to do it.

Never get tired of that! :clap:
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Post by Sickage Flickage »

Silverfox63 wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 21:43
Ditto, on a "baize" pitch. Polished heavyweights will slide and spin as needed.

And totally agree with this too.

The baize cloth just seems to offer the 'grip' or resistance that allows a heavyweight figure to just keep on curling.

Tried it on the 'eighties' pitch. Not quite the same. They just seem to skid sideways.

Must admit, I've never tried it on an Astro. Must buy one sometime and give it a go.
barrychuckle
Grand Master

Post by barrychuckle »

Totally agree. I would also say that despite their awful appearance zombie players are also great for sliding and curling must be something to do with the balance of them.
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

Indeed, zombies are perfectly balanced figures, hence the symmetrical appearance of the figure.
They`re just so bloody ugly!!.

Even the players shunned them. I am surprised that they have not hit the "collectable" status of the HW and LW figures yet. Even 30 years ago when I started collecting in earnest nobody wanted them at all and I don`t see people asking for them now in any great number. Strange that. Because some handpainted stuff will have only appeared as a zombie I`m sure.
krama
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by krama »

barrychuckle wrote: 03 May 2021, 07:38
Totally agree. I would also say that despite their awful appearance zombie players are also great for sliding and curling must be something to do with the balance of them.
Agreed about the zombie figures. Well named in my opinion! :G
algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy »

You might want to look towards the old Profibase/Astrobase bases. The old (I think) 'C4' base has a really nice balance - you can do the straight line game thing if you like, but curling is *much* close to an old LW Subbuteo base.
Puffin
Seasoned Professional

Post by Puffin »

If you are used to using the iBase Storms, I would recommend you try the CLR Dynamics. Same manufacturer, great quality and easier to curl.

Alternatively take a look at Superfooty which are similarly priced
FANTASY FLICKER - Handpainted Subbuteo
http://fantasyflicker.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”