Subbuteo Fest 21

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Re: Subbuteo Fest 21

Post by Silverfox63 »

krama wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 12:25 Thanks Ralph, thats interesting. Now you mention it I have heard of FISTF bods who kind of shun Subbuteo.
I quite agree with you that that is up to them I suppose, but FISTF being divisive about it is madness.
Think I MIGHT have met a few! :?
Just a few??

I have been involved with Subbuteo for fifty years and in that time I have been a player, a tournament player (not brilliantly I add), a collector, a painter/seller of replica items (Santiago Topspin etc) and a dealer from time to time.

In that time I have met many people from many different areas of the hobby and it is abundantly clear that there are several distinct groups with very little cross-over.
There are pure collectors who hardly ever play, they are driven by the desire to collect the items, their pleasure is gained from the teams and the ephemera. They played as kids, but wouldn`t entertain playing even semi-seriously.
The next group is the player/collectors. Those of us who enjoy the collecting aspect and the joy of creating our own teams via the paint your own stuff. We play occasionally with friends for the fun, sometimes its competitive but it is not the be all and end all. There is an awful lot in this group probably more than we realise!.
Lastly, there is the serious players. This group derive their pleasure solely from the competition of the game. A good chunk of them shun the collectors as weirdos. There is a small section of them that are collector players, they are of a certain age (usually 50+) they played with friends as kids and moved into more serious playing in their teens, drifted away and are now back within the hobby. But they are a small percentage of the playing fraternity.
One problem is the "playing rules". There are some many sets and derivatives. I will not attempt to name them all as I will certainly miss something out. I know the last edition of the serious playing rules is more like a book than a leaflet. There are members on here that have had first hand dealing in drafting and writing the rules.
I have played under Subbuteo rules (at least three versions of "advanced") ETSA, FISTF and TSPA. The latter when I returned to playing about twenty years ago. For me they were the most enjoyable set to play with.
When playing in other "open" tournaments I have fallen foul of certain rules and been unaware of others. Its like a Rugby League and Union commonality yet difference. Also interpretation goes along way.

I won`t decry rulesets etc as it is each to their own. The problems come when playing someone from a different era and governing body and the referee is also from their world. As mentioned in previous posts this is where rule interpretation becomes muddied and tournaments can be hurt by deviations from the agreed rulesets in certain games. I`ve seen it happen and been a victim of it myself.

I suppose the point I am trying to make after a ramble. Is that all of the above aspects share the same ultimate DNA. The game we all love for different reasons should bring us together rather than cause division.

We collect for the history and I suppose nostalgia. Some play for fun. Those that take the sport seriously are equally as valid in continuing to promote the game as a sport/hobby and keep it in the public eye.

How many times do we see a Subbuteo style figure still used as an advertising image. The player silhouette is an iconic image, instantly recognisable.

Myself and a number of others think that SSG missed a trick back in the day. Personally I believe the Waddingtons involvement may have been a contributory factor in this. When they agreed the transfer with Mr Adolph, did they know what they were getting. Did they want a toy or a hobby product that ultimately became a sport. My take is they pushed the toy and game part rather than getting fully behind the sport side of things. As a result the more serious players divorced themselves away from the "toy" aspect.
Admittedly Waddingtons did support serious competitions over the years but never really devoted the time money and effort they could have.

I wonder what the global market is now in terms of actual monetary value, especially when you take in all of the excellent after market items such as bases, pitches, goals, figures etc for the serious players and then add in the "collectable" side of things. Not just the vintage stuff but the whole raft of after market painters who create one-offs and specials.

If you`ve got to this point, thanks for reading my two bobs worth.
Ralph1
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Ralph1 »

Good summation - I agree with almost all of that
krama
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by krama »

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply SF. I was being sarcastic when I said " a few". I meant quite a few or a lot really!
As you rightly say though, it's all the same basically.
To the best of my knowledge, Waddingtons wanted "the brand" in fact!
I still remember PA coming home from a meeting for all this with Waddingtons with a car load of Waddingtons freebies for me...Monopoly, Totopoply, Science kits, jigsaws the lot. I still have the monopoly and totopoly sets. Great days!
subbuteocollector
Apprentice

Post by subbuteocollector »

From the event organiser's

SUBBUTEOFEST21 POSTPONED UNTIL SUNDAY 5th SEPTEMBER. Due to the Government announcement today, we have postponed SUBBUTEOFEST21 until Sunday 5th September. We look forward to seeing you all then.
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

Makes complete sense given the current rise in the Delta variant.
No point putting ourselves in harms way.
Ralph1
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Ralph1 »

Silverfox63 wrote: Makes complete sense given the current rise in the Delta variant.
No point putting ourselves in harms way.
This - everyone needs to be careful , my next door neighbour had his second jab three weeks ago and then went down with the delta variant the following week
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

there are distinct areas where the delta variant is running wild, but it appears to be an inconvenient truth for the media or the government to specifically state the full and salient facts. You`re in the north west I`m in the east midlands. :wink:

The selfish attitudes of individuals will keep this virus around for a very long time. I have had a job interview postponed because the interviewer has to isolate because there is an outbreak at her daughters school. My car was delayed at the dealership because a mechanic tested positive on his return from Portugal and everybody in the workshop has to isolate and take a PCR test.
These selfish attitudes and the thick as mince brigade who cant wear a mask properly are part of the problem.

Challenged a man in Morrisons who had his mask under his chin stood next to me. He stated its hard to breathe. I replied " trying breathing on a f*cking ventilator" guess what?? I`m the one who is reprimanded by the shop staff......you couldn`t write it.....

What clown has allowed "Download" to go ahead its not like you can leave the country to get away from the idiots let alone the bloody virus...

Rant over..............................for now!
Ralph1
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Ralph1 »

Silverfox63 wrote: there are distinct areas where the delta variant is running wild, but it appears to be an inconvenient truth for the media or the government to specifically state the full and salient facts. You`re in the north west I`m in the east midlands. :wink:

The selfish attitudes of individuals will keep this virus around for a very long time. I have had a job interview postponed because the interviewer has to isolate because there is an outbreak at her daughters school. My car was delayed at the dealership because a mechanic tested positive on his return from Portugal and everybody in the workshop has to isolate and take a PCR test.
These selfish attitudes and the thick as mince brigade who cant wear a mask properly are part of the problem.

Challenged a man in Morrisons who had his mask under his chin stood next to me. He stated its hard to breathe. I replied " trying breathing on a f*cking ventilator" guess what?? I`m the one who is reprimanded by the shop staff......you couldn`t write it.....

What clown has allowed "Download" to go ahead its not like you can leave the country to get away from the idiots let alone the bloody virus...

Oh I agree entirely - mind you I’m in the thick of it at the moment as I live near Burnley and work in …. Bolton - not the best combination over the past twelve months.
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

Stay safe my friend. Perhaps we can put the world to right over a beer at Subbuteo fest in September?
Ralph1
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Ralph1 »

Silverfox63 wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 20:35 Stay safe my friend. Perhaps we can put the world to right over a beer at Subbuteo fest in September?
Hopefully - I might just make the effort if it happens as I've just noticed 4/5 September is an International Break Weekend
Silverfox63
Forum Newbie

Post by Silverfox63 »

Ralph1 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 11:06
Silverfox63 wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 20:35 Stay safe my friend. Perhaps we can put the world to right over a beer at Subbuteo fest in September?
Hopefully - I might just make the effort if it happens as I've just noticed 4/5 September is an International Break Weekend
Think it might have been deliberately planned that way.
Perhaps we can also discuss the new England manager!!

I reckon hes got Tuesday night to save his job. Got to be brave and ditch Kane, he is quite clearly unfit same thing happened in Russia in 2018.
Stuck with Kane for the semi when he should have gone with Vardy. Croatia were expecting Vardy to start and run at them from the get go as they had to play extra time in their qf game and were knackered. Southgate is lucky rather than tactically good. Why no Bellingham or Sancho. England looked dead on Friday. Doesn`t bother me I`m a Norn Iron supporter and we did`nt qualify this time round.
Ralph1
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Ralph1 »

Silverfox63 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 21:59 Doesn`t bother me I`m a Norn Iron supporter and we did`nt qualify this time round.
A good friend of mine is a keen fan follows them around - mind you his Dad played for the North 23 times and scored 8 goals so I'm prepared to forgive him .. we have a good bit of banter when I see him as home international games for me involve a flight from Manchester to Dublin :wink:
krama
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by krama »

Silverfox63 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 22:11 there are distinct areas where the delta variant is running wild, but it appears to be an inconvenient truth for the media or the government to specifically state the full and salient facts. You`re in the north west I`m in the east midlands. :wink:

Assuming this was not a rhetorical question, it was the one in Slipknot! :wink:
Download is one of the best festivals and always have top bands there... beats the other namby pamby Reading/Leeds and Glasto ones, now purely there for the young Radio One brigade. Reading used to be great back in the day.

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”