SOLO PLAYERS RULES AND LEADS ?

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO
Apprentice

SOLO PLAYERS RULES AND LEADS ?

Post by ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO »

Hi all!
Can you give some tips on how to start playing a SOLO league or matches ?

thanks a lot !
Would love to know more about the RULES you use!

thanks

Sixtiesrules
Forum Newbie

Re: SOLO PLAYERS RULES AND LEADS ?

Post by Sixtiesrules »

ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 11:11
Hi all!

thanks a lot !

thanks
I use the old advanced Subbuteo rules (so pre-1968) - but players are flicked when positioning never done by simply placing other than when starting or re-starting with a goal kick - the main trick when playing solo is not to overthink everything or you will cancel yourself out ?

ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO
Apprentice

Post by ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO »

Sixtiesrules wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 09:47
ACTUALLY SUBBUTEO wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 11:11
Hi all!

thanks a lot !

thanks
I use the old advanced Subbuteo rules (so pre-1968) - but players are flicked when positioning never done by simply placing other than when starting or re-starting with a goal kick - the main trick when playing solo is not to overthink everything or you will cancel yourself out ?
thanks for your message!

BlackpoolRock
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by BlackpoolRock »

Your original question fascinated me, and set me thinking of how and why I first started playing a solo league, back in my school days.

I took to Subbuteo instantly, and I enjoyed learning and developing the game. The extra dimension was added by being able to put real players into teams and each of them actually taking part in a match. I found that some of the most interesting matches to play were (and still are) those in which the teams played different formations. No other game provided this.

Rather than being obliged to play "real" teams in their usual formations, I decided to make up a league between several teams from the comics of the day. Many of these teams won the league or cup, but never played each other, so it just seemed a good idea at the time. I am still using several of the same team names today.

One of the fascinations of doing this is being able to play a "meaningful" game where one team plays a traditional w-m, and the other, say, a 4-4-2 formation.

The rules I play to are based on the original Advanced Rules, using FFs and NNs, but with a few adaptations which suit These are mainly based on Pendle Falcon's traditional rules. I find the turn based play suits my solo game, and it also gets more players involved, rather than defenders standing like statues, for example. There are a few quirky house rules, such as the goalkeepers not on a rod or wire, but may be positioned anywhere inside the goal area when a shot is taken, and also may advance to "gather" the ball whenever it is inside the penalty area.

My games are very slow, and the rules are more strict than usual. Contact with another player during a defensive or offside flick is penalised with a free kick, and noted. As is similar contact at a set piece, although no free kick awarded. Three offences by any player and he's off, with a three match ban to follow.

Relatively recently I discovered 'flats', which I instantly became addicted to. They involve more players in a game and appear to make the choice of formation even more significant, with the crowded defence and 'counter' formatons, plus the rigid 4-2-4 with only two in midfield, doing rather less well than previously.

In addition to enjoying a game that is also rewarding to play, I am also looking for realistic scores and homes/aways/draws ratio. There is always something to look at and, hopefully, improve, in striving to find (for me) the perfect Subbuteo game.

I hope folks haven't found this boring, but I must finish by saying that rediscovering Subbuteo, and its community, has done wonders for my frame of mind, and mental health, in my second childhood, or perhaps I've never left my first one.

Return to “ISF Solo League”