For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Re: Solo Replay of the 1966 World Cup

Post by Sickage Flickage »

Quarter Final - England 2 Argentina 0 - Wembley Stadium

England: Ref 021
Argentina: Ref 067

This wasn't the mucky affair that the real-life game was. The Subbuteo C113 Ambulancemen & Policemen set was not required. (Just as well as I no longer own the one I had as a kid!)

Geoff Hurst struck the post in the first minute which signalled the start of relentless end-to-end attacking by both teams. Argentina went on the offensive and Banks had to save smartly from Onega. England finished the half strongly and after hitting the post again they got their reward on the stroke of half-time. Countless shooting opportunities were created, only to be blocked by excellent defensive flicks, but the ball was eventually squared for Bobby Charlton to smash home one of his trademark shots from distance. England doubled their lead midway through the 2nd half when Alan Ball played a superb crossfield ball to Hurst who pushed the ball out of his feet and hit an unstoppable shot between two defenders and into the corner. England dominated from then on and again struck the post from a ferocious shot from Peters, but England sent the 90,000-strong Wembley crowd home happy and dreaming of a semi-final against Portugal.

ENG v ARG 1.jpg
ENG v ARG 1.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 188 times
ENG v ARG 2.jpg
ENG v ARG 2.jpg (213.28 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Semi Final - West Germany 3 Soviet Union 0 - Goodison Park

West Germany: Ref 156
USSR: Ref 138

West Germany dominated the opening period and the great Lev Yashin had to be at his best to turn numerous efforts away, but he had no chance when a corner presented Helmut Haller with a simple chance from 13 yards. Helmut Schon's troops doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when a brillant pass from Held gave Seeler a chance to shoot from distance, however Yashin was caught unusually flat footed and could only push it onto the post and in. Lots for USSR coach Morozov to consider during the interval. Whatever he said in the dressing room, it didn't work. After the first USSR attack came to nothing, keeper Tilkowski's goal kick found Overath on the right and he hit an inch-perfect first-time pass to Emmerich who fired into the corner of the net. That ended the match as a contest and saw West Germany through to their second World Cup Final.

WGR v USSR.jpg
WGR v USSR.jpg (132.34 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Semi Final - England 2 Portugal 1 - Wembley Stadium

England: Ref 154 Reverse Bases
Portugal: Ref 657.202 Delacoste

England raced into an early lead when Alan Ball was flicked from the half way line and stopped on a sixpence to kiss the ball and set up a point-blank shot that gave Pereira no chance. England were soon two up when the Portuguese defence just couldn't cover all the angles and Bobby Charlton was able to score with a superb long range shot. England were cruising but Portugal put them on edge with two minutes remaining when a brilliant long ball from Festa caught England napping at the back and the great Eusebio's resulting shot was unerring in its accuracy. That set up a nervy finish for the Wembley crowd and forced England to play keep-ball which, to be fair, they did admirably, not giving Portugal a sniff until the final whistle, the signal for unbridled joy as England reached their first ever World Cup Final.

ENG v POR.jpg
ENG v POR.jpg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

World Cup Final Teaser

I'm working away for the next few days so the Final match report and pictures will have to wait until later this week.

I marked the occasion by actually setting up my stadium for the first time in 5 years.

More of that later in the week...

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

World Cup Final - England v West Germany - Wembley Stadium

So, as I said in the teaser, I decided to set up my stadium for the Final. All I had was a couple of sheets of 1829mm x 607mm x 12mm thick plywood which, as I soon discovered were not long enough to get my three grandstands and two terraces down the sides, so I had to improvise and place the scoreboard between the grandstands on the half-way line, and still had room for the goalie rods behind the goals.

Stadium.jpg
Stadium.jpg (195.32 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Good enough, and I could just about reach over the table to play.

Time for the teams to come out for the anthems...

Anthems 1.jpg
Anthems 1.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Anthems 2.jpg
Anthems 2.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Anthems 3.jpg
Anthems 3.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 124 times

The first half was as one-sided a half as you will ever see. The West Germans didn't mount a single attack as England laid siege to the West German goal. Hans Tilkowski made save after save as England pumped in corner after corner. Just before the interval Geoff Hurst thumped a vicious shot off the post but Peters, following up, slid his shot across the keeper low into the right hand corner, and Wembley erupted.

In Game 1.jpg
In Game 1.jpg (147.8 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

But that was nothing compared to the cacophony inside the grand old stadium when, early in the second half, Bobby Charlton played a pass out wide to Roger Hunt. With the Germans expecting a centre he surprised them with hard low shot from the narrowest of angles which flew past Tilkowski and into the far corner.

In Game 2.jpg
In Game 2.jpg (142.52 KiB) Viewed 124 times

And the England fans were in dreamland when, two minutes from time, Hurst worked himself an opening after a defensive error , and his shot struck the unfortunate Willi Schulz and looped over the keeper to put England 3-0 up.

3rd Goal.jpg
3rd Goal.jpg (160.22 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Hurst should have claimed his 2nd when put through by Alan Ball but he scuffed his shot wide and then in the final seconds Banks made his first save of the match to deny the visitors so much as a consolation. A dominant performance sees England lift the Jules Rimet trophy for the first time in their history.

Final Scoreboard.jpg
Final Scoreboard.jpg (149.54 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Up Next? The 1970 World Cup Finals in Mexico

A short break first whilst I paint some teams, in particular Belgium away all white with red / yellow / black trim. Really looking forward to that one, though it will be tricky.

Also need to buy a couple of teams. One thing I learnt doing this one is that it gets boring if you keep using the same references over and over again for different teams.

For example I used Ref 138 six times for both Switzerland and the USSR. All heavyweights play ever so slightly differently and this is part of the fun so yes, you could use a Ref 47 for Romania and Sweden but it's more fun to use a Ref 160 and a Ref 162. I'll need a 152 Bulgaria as well.

I'll also have to get used to the larger (and heavier) 22mm Adidas Telstar & Chile Elast balls, as I only really ever play with 18mm FF's.

Obviously I will do thread with pictures. I intend to take more 'post-goal' action shots next time, rather than just the 'coin-toss' photos!

BlackpoolRock
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by BlackpoolRock »

Another enjoyable and nostalgic read. Thank you once again for posting.

Good luck with your next project. Roll on 1970!

Return to “ISF Solo League”