1970 World Cup Solo Replay

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

1970 World Cup Solo Replay

Post by Sickage Flickage »

31st May 1970 - Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - Group A - Mexico v USSR

And so, after all the debate and controversy about temperatures and altitude, the Mexico 1970 finally kicks off, as the hosts face the USSR in front of 107,000 spectators.

MEX v USSR Coin Toss.jpg
MEX v USSR Coin Toss.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 966 times

The tournament opener got off to a cagey start with some good approach play but no final ball for either team, but the tie came to life when a sweeping move by the Soviets saw Byshovets played through by Vladimir Muntian and his Dynamo Kiev team mate fired in across keeper, Calderon, for 1-0.
MEX v USSR - Byshovets fires USSR into the lead.jpg
MEX v USSR - Byshovets fires USSR into the lead.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 966 times
The hosts were stung into action and came roaring back at the USSR, with Kavazashvili turning a powerful shot from Horacio Lopez-Sagado onto the post. However, the Spartak Moscow keeper could do nothing two minutes later when Javier Valdivia smashed a shot inside his right hand post, and Mexico were level.

MEX v USSR - Valdivia blasts home the equaliser for Mexico.jpg
MEX v USSR - Valdivia blasts home the equaliser for Mexico.jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 966 times
The Soviets must have had their caffeine pills at half time as they shot out of the blocks straight from the kick-off, Yevriuzhikin swerving brilliantly round a statuesque Mario Perez and blasting past the Guadalajara keeper.

Again the hosts redoubled their efforts and, roared on by the feverish, 107,000-strong home support, were rewarded when Fragoso curled superbly onto a Velarde through ball to fire home from a narrow angle.

MEX v USSR - Fragoso makes it 2-2.jpg
MEX v USSR - Fragoso makes it 2-2.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 966 times
The Mexicans now pushed relentlessly for the winner with wave after wave of attacks and, had the Estadio Azteca had a roof, it would have lifted into orbit when Valdivia executed an impossible 'boomerang' flick to set up a shooting opportunity from wide left which he leathered past Kavazashvili with minutes on the clock for the decisive goal. A thrilling curtain raiser to Mexico's first ever World Cup!

MEX v USSR - Valdivia wheels away in delight after scoring the winner.jpg
MEX v USSR - Valdivia wheels away in delight after scoring the winner.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Supergluedlegs
Forum Newbie

Re: 1970 World Cup Solo Replay

Post by Supergluedlegs »

Great idea, photos and match report!
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Supergluedlegs wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 09:36 Great idea, photos and match report!

Thanks Supergluedlegs!

I'll keep 'em coming, although my efforts to continue the tournament will be hampered by the fact that I still don't own a Ref 152 Bulgaria. I keep getting outbid on ThiefBay!

Absolutely mental prices right now. One went for 67 quid last night! :crazyeyes:
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

2nd June 1970 - Estadio Cuauhtémoc, Puebla - Group B - Uruguay v Israel

Uruguay v Israel Coin Toss.jpg
Uruguay v Israel Coin Toss.jpg (120.26 KiB) Viewed 937 times

The Israelis made a decent opening to their first ever World Cup Finals appearance but were guilty of conceding possession in dangerous areas. David Primo gave the ball away from a throw-in on the edge of his own box but, inexplicably, Julio Losada's shot rebounded off the far post and ran along the goal line, nestling against the base of the other post before keeper Yitzchak Vissoker gratefully cleared.

They were not so lucky the second time when Giora Spiegel lost possession thirty yards from his own goal and Luis Cubilla pounced, working it to Maneiro in the penalty area and he smashed the ball into the top corner to give Uruguay the lead.

Maneiro Blasts Uruguay Ahead.jpg
Maneiro Blasts Uruguay Ahead.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 937 times

However the South Americans were stunned a minute later when Israel capitalised on a Uruguayan error when seizing on a loose ball on the halfway line. There still seemed little danger when it appeared that Rohamim Talbi had worked the ball too wide, but he somehow squeezed his low shot past the diving Mazurkiewicz and into the far corner.

Talbi Fires in the Equaliser for Israel.jpg
Talbi Fires in the Equaliser for Israel.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 937 times

The second half descended into stalemate with neither side able to find the winner and some clutch saves from both keepers, and both teams had to settle for the draw.
Supergluedlegs
Forum Newbie

Post by Supergluedlegs »

Sickage Flickage wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 19:50

Thanks Supergluedlegs!

I'll keep 'em coming, although my efforts to continue the tournament will be hampered by the fact that I still don't own a Ref 152 Bulgaria. I keep getting outbid on ThiefBay!

Absolutely mental prices right now. One went for 67 quid last night! :crazyeyes:
I hope you can find them at a reasonable price so you can complete the tournament. I’ve only just bought myself one of those 5 a side pitches as I’m short of space currently for Subbuteo. I was going to play a modest Lancashire senior Cup with the teams I’m collecting. But now I’ve hit on the idea of recreating all the FA Cup finals from 1950-1966. I might have to play a bit fast and loose with historical accuracy of all the kits as some unusual away kits were used in 50’s finals. I might have to settle for using traditional home kits were possible.
BlackpoolRock
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Post by BlackpoolRock »

The opening match certainly gave the tournament a cracking start. Hope to read about some equally high quality and dramatic games in the later stages.

Good luck regards finding a Bulgaria team.
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Supergluedlegs wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 10:18
Sickage Flickage wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 19:50

Thanks Supergluedlegs!

I hope you can find them at a reasonable price so you can complete the tournament. I’ve only just bought myself one of those 5 a side pitches as I’m short of space currently for Subbuteo. I was going to play a modest Lancashire senior Cup with the teams I’m collecting. But now I’ve hit on the idea of recreating all the FA Cup finals from 1950-1966. I might have to play a bit fast and loose with historical accuracy of all the kits as some unusual away kits were used in 50’s finals. I might have to settle for using traditional home kits were possible.

Good idea!

For 1957 you'll obviously need a Ref 40 for my beloved Aston Villa and a Ref 96 for Man United?

Apart from that, Ref's 8, 13 & 18 / 154 will see some use for Newcastle, Blackpool and PNE/Bolton/Spurs.

No doubt you'll be using the brilliant Historical Kits website. Would be great to see some pictures when you get going.

As for my search for a Bulgaria, the misery continues. There's one ending tomorrow but it is shown in a referenced box which is clearly a repro box (shiny as a new pin), therefore the ref sticker must be a fake, and it looks suitably dodgy.

Already up to 33 quid. :(
Supergluedlegs
Forum Newbie

Post by Supergluedlegs »

That’s a pity on the Bulgaria front - hope you can find something.

As for my FA Cup ‘time machine’ matches, I think cost is going to force me to compromise a little and I might have to adapt to using home kits from the era instead of some of the snazzy away kits that were used in the 50s in particular. Quite looking forward to doing the research as you suggest on the kits. I’ve done a quick run through of the 1953 Matthews final in which Bolton Wanderers now got a measure of revenge thanks to a cannonball shot from Nat Lofthouse in the dying minutes to give them a 2-1 victory. Unfortunately no photos! :D
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Supergluedlegs wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 22:50 That’s a pity on the Bulgaria front - hope you can find something.

As for my FA Cup ‘time machine’ matches, I think cost is going to force me to compromise a little and I might have to adapt to using home kits from the era instead of some of the snazzy away kits that were used in the 50s in particular. Quite looking forward to doing the research as you suggest on the kits. I’ve done a quick run through of the 1953 Matthews final in which Bolton Wanderers now got a measure of revenge thanks to a cannonball shot from Nat Lofthouse in the dying minutes to give them a 2-1 victory. Unfortunately no photos! :D

Had a quick look on Historical Kits. My first impression? Lots of hoops on the socks.

Whenever I embark on these projects, there's a middle ground to be had, between being too accurate and using one Ref to cover too many teams.

I try to find the middle ground. Is it worth buying a team, or painting one up, just to use once?

If I custom-paint a team for the 1966 World Cup, can I use it again for the 1970 World Cup?

Sometimes the answers to the above questions are just about how much I like the kit in question.

The 1970 Belgium change kit is just beautiful. I'm painting that one, no matter what.

It's just about having fun in the end. :D
Supergluedlegs
Forum Newbie

Post by Supergluedlegs »

Good to hear you’re really enjoying this project as it’s a good one! :grin:
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

Overview and Progress Update

I should have started with a tournament overview but I suppose I couldn't wait to jump in with both feet!

Format is mostly as per my 1966 solo replay. Full-size 1960s/70's baize cloth pitch, with standard C154 goals and 22mm replica WC1970 balls. Ten minutes each way with no 'home' advantage, played to Old Subbuteo Advanced Rules.

All teams will be Classic HW's, either vintage SSG or custom-painted where stated.

As with 1966, I have replayed each game from the real 1970 tournament in chronological order and, rather than re-writing history by sending different teams through to the knockout phases, the same teams go through regardless of group stage results.

Kit Issues

I'm using the superb Historical Kits website but you can never get everything spot on.

Israel - see my other thread under Members Custom Paint Jobs

Peru - who usually used the iconic red-sash kit, used a different one for their opener against Bulgaria. The nearest SSG equivalent is Ref 302 Nacional. Even if I could find one for sale, I ain't paying that kind of money for one flick. I've decided to paint my own as I have never custom-painted a dark flesh team.

El Salvador - didn't play a single 1970 WC game in the all-blue SSG version. They played the first game in a Ref 135 and the other two in a Ref 18. Of course, the flesh colour would not match a 155 but, I've always thought that SSG's decision to make El Salvador a dark-flesh team a bit strange, given that it's separated from Mexico only by Guatemala, and Ref 157 is not a dark flesh team.

Czechoslovakia - I can't find any pictures of the Czechoslovakia national team playing in the SSG version of the kit (Ref 153). It's a shame but I'm going to use Ref 140, even though I should be using Ref 21. I will already be using that one for England.

Morocco / Bulgaria - switched to a dazzling (especially if you're colour-defective) red shirt / green shorts combo during the Group Phase. Obviously they had never heard the ditty: "Red and green, Should never be seen, Except on a Christmas fairy queen". I'll have to improvise here. Maybe another custom paint job - but not one that excites me.

Belgium change kit - will be custom painted and this one does excite me.

Soviet Union - played in blue shorts vs Belgium. Might use a Ref 48 Spain.

Italy - change kit vs Israel - no way I'm custom-painting this one but I want to paint up an Inter Milan away for a future 1970's Serie A project and this will be close enough.

Progress

Still haven't found a Ref 152 Bulgaria

Ref 160 Romania acquired, spares bought, bases switched to match, ready to go.

Ref 162 Sweden - acquired but it's a messy one. Should have paid more attention to the photos on eBay. Concerned that it's a re-base. Photos to follow in a different section, and all opinions welcome.
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

2nd June 1970 - Estadio Jalisco, Guadalajara - Group C - England 1 Romania 1

England - Ref 021
Romania - Ref 160

England v Romania - Coin Toss.jpg
England v Romania - Coin Toss.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 656 times

A miserable first half, very low on quality and goalmouth incident. England were hopeless in their first game in defence of the Jules Rimet Trophy, overhitting passes and squandering possession. Luckily for them, Romania were almost as bad and it took until late in the first half for England to record a shot on target, Adamache saving Hurst's weak shot. Romania struck the post right on half time after toying with the England back four, for what seemed like an age, Lucescu finally letting fly.

The Guadalajara crowd were hoping for better fare in the 2nd half, and they finally got something to cheer when England broke quickly from a Romania corner and a long ball forward from Moore was collected by Francis Lee who dribbled towards the edge of the area and lashed in a shot which the keeper should have done better with.

Romania would have felt agrieved, having had the lion's share of the possession, and went immediately in serach of the equaliser which they got with the last kick of the game when a free kick from their own half found Dumitru on the right and he controlled and squared to Tataru, who placed his shot in the only place not blocked off by the lunge of Labone and the despairing dive of Gordon Banks.

England 1 Romania 1 - Romania's Tataru scores a last gasp equaliser.jpg
England 1 Romania 1 - Romania's Tataru scores a last gasp equaliser.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 656 times

England were crestfallen but only had themselves to blame for an uncharacteristically sloppy start to the tournament. Questions will again be asked about the wisdom of playing at altitude in such high temperatures

Final Score - England 1 Romania 1.jpg
Final Score - England 1 Romania 1.jpg (232.38 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

As the Bulgarian national team has still not turned up to the Tournament, I've decided to push on with the rest of the games in the hope of catching up, if and when they ever decide to grace us with their presence...
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

3rd June 1970 - Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - Group A - Belgium vs El Salvador

Belgium - Ref 151
El Salvador - Ref 135

Belgium v El Salvador - Coin Toss.jpg
Belgium v El Salvador - Coin Toss.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 572 times

An impressive 92,000-strong crowd in the Azteca saw Belgium race into an early lead when Cabezas gave the ball away almost straight from the kick-off to Jean Dockx. He passed straight upfield to Van Himst who seemed to have reached a dead-end when a long curling flick and close control brought Raoul Lambert a shooting opportunity. His route to goal was blocked by Mariona but he cut the ball back for Van Himst who this time made no mistake.

Van Himst Opens the Scoring for Belgium.jpg
Van Himst Opens the Scoring for Belgium.jpg (120.48 KiB) Viewed 572 times

Belgium made it two early in the 2nd half when their foward line pressed El Salvador high up the park and won the ball back, Johan Devrindt sliding the ball to Wilfred Puis who shot smartly past keeper Raul Magana. In the closing stages El Salvador threw the kitchen sink at Belgium in search of a way back into the game, but to no avail.

Wilfred Puis Doubles Belgium's Lead.jpg
Wilfred Puis Doubles Belgium's Lead.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Belgium Celebrate Their Second Goal.jpg
Belgium Celebrate Their Second Goal.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Sickage Flickage
Semi-Pro

3rd June 1970 - Estadio Luis Dosal, Toluca - Group B - Italy vs Sweden

Italy v Sweden - Coin Toss.jpg
Italy v Sweden - Coin Toss.jpg (138.73 KiB) Viewed 572 times

In contrast to the games in the Capital, a disappointing crowd in Toluca of just 13,433 turned out to watch this match, but they were treated to a feast of attacking football with both teams going at it from the first whistle.

Both keepers were busy, but Sweden broke the deadlock late in the first half when a mistake on the left near the goal line by Facchetti allowed Kindvall to skillfully win possession. He rolled the ball across the face of goal and Italy were left totally exposed as Ove Grahn gratefully slotted home past Albertosi.

Italy levelled immediately after the restart thanks to some poor defending by Nordqvist. The Norrköping and Sweden captain had what appeared to be the easiest of jobs to cover off the angle for a shot but got it horribly wrong and Alessandro Mazzola was gifted a shot which went in off keeper Hellstrom.

Mazzola Equalises for Italy.jpg
Mazzola Equalises for Italy.jpg (123.59 KiB) Viewed 572 times

The 2nd half started where the 1st left off, with Luigi Riva and Roberto Boninsegna playing keep ball before the Internazionale striker smashed a shot in off the Hammarby keeper's right-hand post.

Boninsegna Makes It 2-1 To Italy.jpg
Boninsegna Makes It 2-1 To Italy.jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 572 times

Sweden hit back mid-way through the half, building patiently from the back presenting Kindvall with a chance to shoot from an angle and he wrong-footed Albertosi to score.

Kindvall Wrong-Foots Albertosi to Level for Sweden.jpg
Kindvall Wrong-Foots Albertosi to Level for Sweden.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Last edited by Sickage Flickage on 14 Nov 2020, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “ISF Solo League”