Mounting Surfaces

The place for threads about restoration of equipment.
AsRoma1927
Forum Newbie

Mounting Surfaces

Post by AsRoma1927 »

Hello all,

I'm back into Subbuteo with my 7-year-old kid after 30 years! I currently have some 80's and 90's LW Teams and an old Subbuteo cotton pitch which has gone through some nasty experiences over my childhood =)

I just bought a beautiful Hasbro Champions league cloth pitch which I have already ironed and tested. I'm impressed with the slide of the LW players and how fast it is.

However, my question is, what is the lightest material I can mount the pitch on? I read a lot and everyone opts for either MDF or chipboard. My concern is that these are heavy to carry every now and then. I also intend to hang the pitch to the wall when not used.

I was thinking of two pieces of self-adhesive mounting boards (Used for presentations) stuck to each other to avoid warping. For mounting the pitch, I was thinking of either stick a layer of Self-Adhesive Velour and lay the cotton pitch on top.

I would love to hear your input!

Thanks and happy kicking
Wacca
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021
ISF Subscriber 2020-2021

Re: Mounting Surfaces

Post by Wacca »

Hi
Mine is on MDF as I need the strength (hence the weight) to support my stadium. Although in two parts it is still pretty heavy and if you are entrusting your 7 year old to play on his own (good luck with that !) there is no way he could set up on his own.

Most important really is that it stays flat when not using it. If your solution means that it works for you and won’t warp then go for it. Only other consideration is that whatever you lay the pitch on could make it even faster so may be worth testing before fixing anything down.

Good luck !
AsRoma1927
Forum Newbie

Re: Mounting Surfaces

Post by AsRoma1927 »

In my case, I'm just going to mount the pitch and fix 2"x1" wooden strips along the perimeter as means of support and as a barrier to the pitch. The lighter the base the better as I need to hang to the wall in my study when not used.

Return to “Restoration”