For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Re: 1970 World Cup Solo Replay

Post by Sickage Flickage »

21st June 1970 - Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - World Cup Final - Brazil v Italy

Brazil - Classic HW Ref 50
Italy - Classic HW Ref 166

And so to the final game of this wonderful tournament which has seen some epic encounters in the searing Mexican heat

As befitting a final between two of the three two-time winners of the Jules Rimet Trophy, a full house of over 107,000 spectators were here to see the mouth-watering prospect of Europe and South America's finest going toe-to-toe.

The Players Line Up for the Anthems.jpg
The Players Line Up for the Anthems.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 904 times
The Warm Up is Over and the Tension Begins to Build.jpg
The Warm Up is Over and the Tension Begins to Build.jpg (195.95 KiB) Viewed 904 times
The Final Coin Toss of the Mexico 1970 World Cup.jpg
The Final Coin Toss of the Mexico 1970 World Cup.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Sickage Flickage
Professional

World Cup Final - Brazil v Italy (Cont...)

Relentless early pressure from Italy came to nothing and when Brazil broke down their left and found Pelé, the Europeans would have felt that they had enough defensive cover...

Italy Have Plenty of Defensive Cover to Negate the Threat of Pele.jpg
Italy Have Plenty of Defensive Cover to Negate the Threat of Pele.jpg (139.43 KiB) Viewed 901 times

however the Santos Magician simply swerved around Pierluigi Cera...

...But Pele Swerves Around Cera.jpg
...But Pele Swerves Around Cera.jpg (191.46 KiB) Viewed 901 times

and thumped the ball into the roof of the net giving Albertosi no chance.

...And Fires High into the Net to Give Brazil the Lead.jpg
...And Fires High into the Net to Give Brazil the Lead.jpg (151.31 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Sickage Flickage
Professional

However Brazil's concentration levels were lacking after the restart when Italy worked the ball to Angelo Domenghini...

Angelo Domenghini Sizes Up a Shot from Distance.jpg
Angelo Domenghini Sizes Up a Shot from Distance.jpg (129.1 KiB) Viewed 900 times

who dispatched a long range shot expertly past Felix. All square in the blink of an eye!

...And Finds the Corner of the Net.jpg
...And Finds the Corner of the Net.jpg (219.75 KiB) Viewed 900 times

And the Italians were ahead on the stroke of half time after some superb controlled interplay down the left between Luigi Riva and Mario Bertini, the Internazionale midfielder slipped a pass behind Everaldo...

Mazzola Arrives Late onto Bertini's Cross-Field Ball.jpg
Mazzola Arrives Late onto Bertini's Cross-Field Ball.jpg (206.64 KiB) Viewed 900 times

and there was Mazzola arriving at the back post to make it 2-1.

And Finishes into the Corner of the Net with Unerring Accuracy.jpg
And Finishes into the Corner of the Net with Unerring Accuracy.jpg (232.39 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Back came Brazil after the interval and Rivelino decided to take on the entire Italian team and worked himself a shooting opportunity...

View From the Stands of Rivelino's Chance.jpg
View From the Stands of Rivelino's Chance.jpg (171.01 KiB) Viewed 900 times

which flew past Albertosi to level the scores.

View from the Stands as Rivelino Blasts in Off the Post to Level the Scores.jpg
View from the Stands as Rivelino Blasts in Off the Post to Level the Scores.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 900 times

The game now became more frantic and ebbed & flowed from end to end. Finally a ball played out of the Brazilian defence by Piazza, found Gerson in the centre circle. He was shepherded watchfully by De Sisti, who seemed certain he would lay the ball back or even square, but Gerson swivelled on a sixpence...

Gerson Swivels and Spots the Run of Tostao.jpg
Gerson Swivels and Spots the Run of Tostao.jpg (165.14 KiB) Viewed 900 times

and played a glorious ball with the outside of the boot (ok - base!) which found Tostao with pinpoint accuracy.

Tostao Controls Gerson's Pass and Has the Chance to Win the World Cup for Brazil.jpg
Tostao Controls Gerson's Pass and Has the Chance to Win the World Cup for Brazil.jpg (229.91 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Sickage Flickage
Professional

The Italians were stunned and could not recover defensively and the Cruzeiro forward shot powerfully under the dive of Albertosi to win it for Brazil with seconds remaining!

Tostao Shoots Powerfully Under the Dive of Albertosi to Win It for Brazil.jpg
Tostao Shoots Powerfully Under the Dive of Albertosi to Win It for Brazil.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Tostao Celebrates his Goal with the Brazilian Fans.jpg
Tostao Celebrates his Goal with the Brazilian Fans.jpg (144.26 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Some of the Fans Seem a Bit Drunk.jpg
Some of the Fans Seem a Bit Drunk.jpg (135.3 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Having led 2-1 the Italians were absolutely crestfallen and simply didn't have the energy to muster a late response and the final whistle blew.

BRAZIL WIN THE 1970 WORLD CUP!

The Final Score.jpg
The Final Score.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Ralph1

Post by Ralph1 »

Great stuff :clap:
hargy
Forum Newbie

Post by hargy »

An excellent thread

:clap: :clap: :clap:
krama
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by krama »

Amazing thank you, great pics!! :clap: :clap:
kegart
Semi-Pro

Post by kegart »

Very enjoyable and thanks for the smashing pictures.
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Thanks guys for your generous comments.

It took significantly longer to complete this tournament compared to the 1966 one, partly due to there being more teams, but also due to life intruding again post-lockdown.

I fully intended to go straight into the 1974 tournament and had even collected some teams I needed (Haiti & Zaire) but it's a big commitment so I decided to take a break and wait for inspiration.

I have some other projects I want to do, such as a mid-70's Serie A (also a big commitment) and also the European Cup finals from the late 60's through to 1982.

I might do the Euro Cup finals one next as it's a smaller affair.
Wacca
ISF Subscriber 2021-22
ISF Subscriber 2021-22

Post by Wacca »

Sickage Flickage wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:01 Thanks guys for your generous comments.

It took significantly longer to complete this tournament compared to the 1966 one, partly due to there being more teams, but also due to life intruding again post-lockdown.

I fully intended to go straight into the 1974 tournament and had even collected some teams I needed (Haiti & Zaire) but it's a big commitment so I decided to take a break and wait for inspiration.

I have some other projects I want to do, such as a mid-70's Serie A (also a big commitment) and also the European Cup finals from the late 60's through to 1982.

Is the finish in 1982 anything to do with Peter Withe ?
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Wacca wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 17:53
Sickage Flickage wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:01 Thanks guys for your generous comments.

Yes! :P
Sickage Flickage
Professional

Wacca wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 17:53

But also it was an era where British teams gained a foothold in the competition and started to take it seriously, and this gave way to an era of dominance by English teams in the late 70's / early 80's.

And I suppose it's also a personal thing for me. I watched Liverpool beat Monchengladbach in 1977 (on TV of course) and it caught my imagination. I was then hooked on British teams' involvement in European football until my own team won the European Cup in '82.

I was 15 that year and started getting interested in other things, like pubs and girls, and eventually the Heysel Stadium disaster killed all the remaining 'romance' I still associated with European football.

Return to “ISF Solo League”