2021/22 Global "Home" Internationals

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
hargy
Apprentice

2021/22 Global "Home" Internationals

Post by hargy »

That time of year has rolled around and I now have time to get going on my latest tournament.

Last year I focussed on a European club event and so I thought I'd do something with national teams. I started out with the idea of simply doing the 4 nation British Home Internationals but then thought I could expand a bit with the other international teams I have but without doing another full blown World Cup.

Consequently I came up with the British group, a European group and a South America/Rest of the World group. The nations are:

British: England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland
Europe: Holland, Belgium, Italy, France, Portugal, Germany
SA/RoW: Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Zaire

A randomly drawn quarter-final stage to start a knock-out rounds with the qualifiers being the:
  • top 2 from Britain
  • top 3 from Europe
  • top 3 from SA/RoW
That should give me enough games to be interesting and not overly drawn out. Probable start is in December; sooner if time allows

Will keep you posted
hargy
Apprentice

Re: 2021/22 Global "Home" Internationals

Post by hargy »

England host Wales to open the Home Internationals. An evenly balanced match but with few clear chances for either side. Final score: England 0-0 Wales.
Attachments
20211129_195357.jpg
20211129_195357.jpg (180.17 KiB) Viewed 83 times
20211129_195330.jpg
20211129_195330.jpg (132.73 KiB) Viewed 83 times
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

The tournament starts to move into full swing with games recently in the Euro and Row sections.

France came out of the traps fast in Amsterdam against Holland. Two goals in the first 10 minutes but the Dutchmen on the back foot and despite coming back into the game in the 2nd half, the french remained resolute to complete the 2-0 win.

In Lima, Brazil were the visitors and came out of the traps fast, attacking straight from the opening kick-off but firing wide.

The teams take the field
The teams take the field
PerBra_Open.jpg (125.13 KiB) Viewed 50 times

However, despite their midfield dominance the SambaBoys were ineffective and they paid the price as Peru took the lead. The hosts scored a second after half-time and the Brazilians were really a t a loss. Although they forced a goal late on, it was no more than a consolation as Peru came out with a surprise win.

Peru 1-0 Brazil
Peru 1-0 Brazil
Per_1-0.jpg (158.87 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Peru 2-0 Brazil
Peru 2-0 Brazil
Per_2-0.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Brazil score a consolation
Brazil score a consolation
Per1-2Bra.jpg (150.17 KiB) Viewed 50 times
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

Germany and Italy take the field for today's clash from Gelsenkirchen.
Germany and Italy take the field
Germany and Italy take the field
Ger_Italy.jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 37 times
An early chance for Germany
An early chance for Germany
Germany_Chance.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 37 times
No home advantage for the Germans as they have crumbled to the finesse of the Italian attack. A well-worked early goal with the ball steered in from the edge of the 6 yard box after a fine cross from the left, has been followed by two fine long range strikes to give Italy an unexpected 3-0 lead at half-time.

Italy open the scoring
Italy open the scoring
Ger_Ita_1stGoal.jpg (119.26 KiB) Viewed 37 times

The Germans came out positively in the 2nd half but were unable to find any meaningful chances before Italy fired in a cracking 4th from 25 yards. The listless Germans must now but this heavy result behind them as they prepare for their next game against Belgium.
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

And now our coverage switches to the 1st Trans_Andean derby (it's like the A23 derby but steeper :G ) as Argentina visit Santiago to take on Chile.

A very even first half with Chile with chances at both ends. An earlier strike for Chile brings a great save from the Argentine keeper.

Chile Checked
Chile Checked
Ch_Arg_save.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 32 times

But it was the hosts who gained the edge a few minutes later as a great strike from the edge of the box found the corner. Half-time and it's Chile 1-0 Argentina.
Another fine save keeps Chile out
Another fine save keeps Chile out
Ch_Arg_save2.jpg (151.11 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Argentina picked the wrong night to visit their neighbours. After the break, Chile really found their groove with slick passing opening up the visitors defence at will and only some sharp goalkeeping kept the score at 1-0 until another fine move had the Argentina defenders in knots and saw a second goal for Chile. More chances for Chile followed while the visitors just couldn't get going. Chile 2-0 Argentina.

2-0 to Chile as they finish a fine passing move
2-0 to Chile as they finish a fine passing move
Ch2-0Arg_goal.jpg (164.94 KiB) Viewed 32 times
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

First game of the day has Belgium hosting Spain in Brussels. Not much between these 2 sides as both battled to control the midfield resulting in few chances.

Kick-Off
Kick-Off
BLG_SP_1.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 19 times

However, it was Belgium who drew first blood as a shot from the edge of the box was parried onto the post but straight back to the striker who scrambled it home.

Unflustered by this set-back, Spain remained switched on and began to dominate, with a reward coming a few minutes before the break as a fast low shot found the bottom corner. Half-time and we're level at 1-1.

The even balance of the game continued in the second half as both sides had periods of pressure but without further break-through. That is until with just 9 seconds on the clock, a sweet strike from the edge of the box beat the keeper's despairing dive and it's Spain who take all three points. Full-time Belgium 1-2 Spain.

A Winner for Spain
A Winner for Spain
BLG1-2SP.jpg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 19 times
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

Today's late game takes us to Montevideo (well why not) where African Invitationalists Zaire take on Uruguay. And this one looks like it's over before it began. 3 goals before the mid-way mark of the first half has put Uruguay well in control. Pick of the 3 is the 2nd, scored after a corner with a lovely chip over to the penalty spot where in the incoming forward calming redirected the ball into the corner. HT: Zaire 0-3 Uruguay

Pin-point cross
Pin-point cross
Zre0-2Uru_cross.jpg (156.92 KiB) Viewed 11 times
Delicately turned in for Uruguay's 2nd
Delicately turned in for Uruguay's 2nd
Zre0-2Uru_goal.jpg (178.39 KiB) Viewed 11 times
hargy
Apprentice

Post by hargy »

It's all over in Montevideo. A subdued second half as Uruguay easily controlled the match against their less experienced opponents. A smart finish from 25 yards with just 5 seconds remaining did, however, give the visitors a consolation which may spur them on to better things in their remaining games. FT: Zaire 1-3 Uruguay.

Zaire Score
Zaire Score
Zre1-3Uru_consol.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 11 times

Return to “ISF Solo League”